How can I change the properties of multiple equations in Mathtype at once?

• Thread starter omri3012
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathtype
In summary, the conversation is about changing the properties (size, style) of multiple equations in a Word document to match a new equation. The suggested solution is to use the Format Equations command on the MathType tab in Word's Ribbon, but if that is not available, the user can try reinstalling MathType or contacting Design Science tech support.
omri3012
Hallo everyone,
I have a word document full of equations in Mathtype and I added a new equation which I wrote in different size and style. Does anyone know how I can change the old equations (not one by one) so their properties (size, style) would be exactly as those of the new equation?
Thanks,
Omri

Physics news on Phys.org
omri3012 said:
Hallo everyone,
I have a word document full of equations in Mathtype and I added a new equation which I wrote in different size and style. Does anyone know how I can change the old equations (not one by one) so their properties (size, style) would be exactly as those of the new equation?
Thanks,
Omri

(You didn't say which version of Word you're using, so if it's 2002 or 2003, this command will be in Word's MathType menu. Also, if you're using Word 2008 on the Mac, this command is unavailable. The only way you can do this is to find someone with a different version of Word, and format them there.)

You need to use the Format Equations command on the MathType tab in Word's Ribbon, but first, copy the new equation to the clipboard. Now find the Format Equations command and select the option that says "Equation on clipboard". Make sure "Whole document" is checked, and click OK. In a few seconds, there will be a pop-up telling you how many equations were found & formatted, and when you dismiss this pop-up, you'll see the newly-formatted equations.

thanks bobm,

the thing is i have word 2007 and mathtype 6 and i can't find the MathType tab in Word's Ribbon. is there anything else i can do?

Well, MathType 6 is compatible with Office 2007, so the first thing to try is to reinstall MathType. If you install or update Word after you install MathType, the Ribbon tab won't be there. If reinstalling MathType doesn't bring the tab back, contact Design Science tech support at support@dessci.com. The Format Equations command isn't available anywhere else except on the Ribbon.

I am familiar with Mathtype and understand the importance of maintaining consistency in equations. To change the properties of multiple equations at once, you can use the "Select and Change" function in Mathtype. This allows you to select all the equations you want to change and then apply the desired style and size. Additionally, you can use the "Format Painter" tool to copy the properties of the new equation and apply them to the old ones. I hope this helps. Good luck with your document!

What is Mathtype?

Mathtype is a software tool used for creating and editing mathematical equations and expressions. It is commonly used by scientists, mathematicians, and educators to format and present complex mathematical equations in documents, presentations, and web pages.

How do I edit equations in Mathtype?

To edit an equation in Mathtype, you can either double-click on the equation to open it in the Mathtype editor, or use the Mathtype toolbar to select and edit the equation directly within your document. You can also use keyboard shortcuts for faster editing.

Can I customize the appearance of my equations in Mathtype?

Yes, Mathtype offers a variety of customization options to change the appearance of your equations. You can change the font, size, color, and style of your equations, as well as add symbols, equations, and special characters.

Can I insert equations into any document using Mathtype?

Yes, Mathtype is compatible with various document formats such as Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Google Docs, and LaTeX. You can easily insert equations into these documents using Mathtype.

Is there a way to collaborate on equations using Mathtype?

Yes, Mathtype offers a feature called "Equation Editor" that allows you to collaborate on equations with others in real-time. This feature is available for Microsoft Word and PowerPoint, and allows multiple users to edit the same equation simultaneously.