[EE - Signals] Verify my unit-step work

In summary: Nvm, I figured it out. I'm sorry, you are correct. I should have explained that in more detail.No worries, glad you figured it out!
user101

Homework Statement

For the top example: [tex]x(t) = u(t+1) - 2u(t-1) + u(t-3)[/tex]

For the bottom example: [tex]x(t) = (t+1)*u(t-1) - t*u(t) - u(t-2)[/tex]

The example asked for a sketch, so sorry if my drawings aren't to scale.

Homework Equations

Unit step: [tex]u(t-t_0)[/tex]...

* if [tex]t_0[/tex] is positive, there will be a shift to the RIGHT, which indicates a delay.
* if [tex]t_0[/tex] is negative, there will be a shift to the LEFT, which indicates an advance of the signal.
* if [tex]t_0[/tex] is zero, therefore having just [tex]u(t)[/tex], there is no advance or delay.

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my attached work. I drew a graph for each term (for both problems), then combined them if it was either addition or subtraction. I split the graphs into sections, where I thought it would be appropriate. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

The image is kind of long, sorry :(

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/4845/pg1aj0.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
4a is correct.

In 4b, look at (t+1)*u(t-1). The sketch is t*u(t-1).

Astronuc said:
In 4b, look at (t+1)*u(t-1). The sketch is t*u(t-1).

For the first one in 4b, I have the delay in there and then I start at y = 1, going up by 1/1 for the slope. Isn't that correct?

user101 said:
For the first one in 4b, I have the delay in there and then I start at y = 1, going up by 1/1 for the slope. Isn't that correct?

It should start at y = 2...

But your final answer looks right.

Woops! My mistake guys, I got it :)

for my final answer, the -t slope right after the y axis, is that correct? 0 - t - 0 = -t slope.

user101 said:
Woops! My mistake guys, I got it :)

for my final answer, the -t slope right after the y axis, is that correct? 0 - t - 0 = -t slope.

Yes, that's right. At t = 1, y jumps from -1 to 1... then from t = 1 to t= 2, y=1. Then from t=2 onwards y = 0... everything looks good.

Hi - just a quick question, is my explanation sufficient. My professor told me to keep it as simple as possible:

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/1512/picture2nv2.jpg

Keep in mind

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\,\delta(t-T)f(t)\,dt\,=\,f(T)[/tex] or f(-T) if the argument of the delta function is t+T.

Astronuc said:
Keep in mind

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\,\delta(t-T)f(t)\,dt\,=\,f(T)[/tex] or f(-T) if the argument of the delta function is t+T.

Right, I tried to go by that rule. Did I do something wrong when applying it to my examples?

The answers are correct, and you're logic is correct.

Ok, great thanks!

Ook, if I have a discrete time signal, I'm assuming I do the same thing? Here is the question:

http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/493/picture2ot4.jpg

n = -5, so the summation is equal to 0 since it is not within the proper bounds of 4 <-> 10.The reason I'm asking for verification is because I haven't learned this yet, so I'm learning on my own accord. The feedback I get tells me whether or not I learned it properly! =D

Yes, that's right. The summation is 0.

delta[n+5] = 0 for all numbers except n = -5, when it equals 1.

Hi, I have a new one that I'm having trouble with. My friend got something totally different than what I did. Is this even remotely close? My final answer is the very bottom one.

Basically what I did was for the impulse functions, they are only true at a certain location and the last two ones, the unit step ones, are like any other unit steps graphs, only with discrete values. I'm pretty sure the unit step discrete ones are correct, but is my overall methodology correct?

Also, is there any other way of doing this quicker, instead of drawing each one out?

http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/6868/picture1xc8.jpg

Nvm, I figured it out.

1. What is a unit step function in signal processing?

A unit step function, also known as the Heaviside step function, is a mathematical function that has a value of 0 for negative input values and a value of 1 for positive input values. It is commonly used to model how a system responds to a sudden change or input.

2. How do you verify your unit-step function work?

To verify your unit-step function work, you can use the properties of the unit step function, such as time shifting, time scaling, and time reversal, to check if your results are correct. You can also use a graphing calculator or software to plot the function and compare it to the expected output.

3. What are the applications of unit step functions in signal processing?

Unit step functions are commonly used in signal processing to model and analyze systems that have a sudden change or input, such as in control systems, communication systems, and digital filters. They are also used to represent step responses and impulse responses of systems.

4. Can a unit step function have a value other than 0 or 1?

No, a unit step function only has a value of 0 for negative input values and a value of 1 for positive input values. It is a discontinuous function and does not have any other values in between.

5. How is a unit step function different from a unit impulse function?

A unit impulse function, also known as the Dirac delta function, has a value of infinity at t=0 and a value of 0 everywhere else. It is used to model an instantaneous "spike" or impulse in a system. A unit step function, on the other hand, has a value of 0 for negative input values and a value of 1 for positive input values, and is used to model a sudden change or input in a system.