Effect of a diverging lense on a nearsighted patient

• Thread starter Chris_Physics
  • Start date
In summary, the patient needs a diverging lens with P=-2 diopters and has a power of accommodation of 2 diopters. This means the near point of the patient is 50 cm. However, when wearing the glasses, the near point becomes 25 cm, which may not be the desired outcome.
Chris_Physics
The Problem:
I calculated that a "patient" needs a diverging lense with P=-2 diopters. The patient has a power of accomodation of 2 diopters. This means, that the near point of the patient is 1/2 diopters = 50 cm. Is this correct?

Relevent equations:
1/f = 1/s + 1/s'
1/s(min) = power of accomodation

My attempt
Now, what is the nearpoint of the patient with the glasses on? I thought the powers would add, but 2+-2 =0, so that doesn't make sense. Unless the new near point is 1/4 diopters = 25 cm, but this doesn't seem right. I'm not sure how to be thinking about this problem

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Chris, welcome to PF. :) Please do use the template :( It may be one of the reasons you got such a late reply (although I admit I didn't notice your post before .. ).

I take it the patient needs the glasses to see far away. (I do). So his far away point (I'm no expert, just a wearer) is 50 cm. So his eye(s) starts off with 2 diops and can accommodate 2 more. Glasses + eye = 0 diops ##\rightarrow## 20/20 vision all over the horizon. Make sense ?

Related to Effect of a diverging lense on a nearsighted patient

What is a diverging lens?

A diverging lens is a type of lens that is thinner in the middle and thicker at the edges. It causes light rays to spread out, or diverge, as they pass through it.

How does a diverging lens affect a nearsighted patient?

For a nearsighted patient, the diverging lens will help to correct their vision. The lens will cause the light rays to diverge before entering the eye, allowing the image to focus correctly on the retina.

Can a diverging lens completely cure nearsightedness?

No, a diverging lens can only help to correct nearsightedness. It cannot reverse or cure the condition permanently.

What are the potential side effects of using a diverging lens?

Some potential side effects of using a diverging lens for nearsightedness include distortion of peripheral vision, increased sensitivity to glare, and difficulty adjusting to the lens. It is important to consult with an eye doctor before using any corrective lenses.

How do I know if a diverging lens is the right option for my nearsightedness?

An eye doctor will conduct a comprehensive eye exam and determine the appropriate corrective lens for your nearsightedness. They will also consider other factors such as your lifestyle and visual needs before recommending a diverging lens.