Effect of low pressure on solids

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of evaporating water from a pulverized product while keeping an unknown solid substance intact. The substance has a higher boiling point than water, but only slightly. It is mentioned that most solids have a boiling point well above water's, with iodine being the closest example. However, without specific details, it is impossible to determine the best method. The substance's affinity for water and its latent heat of vaporization play a role. The conversation also mentions the limited source of the plant, which may be an organic material.
Danilo Boskovic
I have a question about low pressure. So if i want to evaporate water from a pulverized product, but keep a solid substance intact (unknow solid, unknown properties, higher boiling point than water, but only slightly), should i do it with low (not too low) pressure? Will it remove more of the substance compared to air drying?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You've created a bit of a problem. Your unknown substance is a solid with a boiling point only slightly higher than water.
Everything I can think of that is solid when water is liquid has a boiling point that is well above the boiling point of water.

Perhaps iodine comes closest to what you are describing. It has a melting point of 113.7C and a boiling point of 180.3C. I would call that more than "slightly higher".

It's really impossible to say without dealing in specifics. If the "solid" has a low latent heat of vaporization and a low vapor pressure at 100C, then you better keep it cold.

We also don't know what affinity the "solid" has for water.

By slightly, i ment relatively slightly. The thing is i can not lose more of the substance as i only have a limited source of the plant as its season has passed.

Danilo Boskovic said:
By slightly, i ment relatively slightly. The thing is i can not lose more of the substance as i only have a limited source of the plant as its season has passed.
Is this an organic material?

Danilo Boskovic said:
unknow solid, unknown properties
Danilo Boskovic said:
i only have a limited source of the plant as its season has passed
Well which is it? Is the substance unknown, or do you know what it is because you know what plant you ground up?

1. What is low pressure and how does it affect solids?

Low pressure refers to a decrease in the amount of atmospheric pressure in a given area. When solids are exposed to low pressure, the molecules that make up the solid are pushed further apart, causing the solid to expand in volume. This expansion can lead to changes in the physical properties of the solid.

2. How does low pressure affect the strength of solids?

Low pressure can cause a decrease in the strength of solids. As the molecules in the solid are pushed further apart, the bonds between them become weaker, resulting in a decrease in the overall strength of the solid. This can make the solid more susceptible to breaking or deforming under stress.

3. Can low pressure cause solids to change state?

Yes, low pressure can cause solids to change state. When exposed to low pressure, some solids can undergo a process called sublimation, where they transition directly from a solid to a gas without passing through a liquid state. This is because the decreased pressure causes the molecules in the solid to have more energy and break free from their solid state.

4. How does low pressure affect the melting point of solids?

Low pressure can lower the melting point of solids. This is because at lower pressures, the molecules in the solid have more energy and can move more freely, making it easier for them to overcome the attractive forces holding them together. This results in a lower amount of heat needed to melt the solid.

5. Are there any practical applications of the effect of low pressure on solids?

Yes, there are various practical applications of this phenomenon. For example, low pressure can be used to freeze-dry food or preserve biological samples. It is also used in the production of materials such as aerogels, which have unique properties due to their low-density structure. Additionally, low pressure is important in understanding the behavior of materials in outer space, where atmospheric pressure is significantly lower than on Earth.