Effect of photon detection mid-way between (double) slit and screen

In summary, in a single particle double slit experiment, the which-way information can be obtained by placing a detection instrument near the slits. The question is whether the photon can be detected at x = 15, between the slits and the final screen at x = 20, and if its location would show an interference pattern consistent with the self-interference of the wave function. This differs from just placing the screen at 15 because the detector allows the photon to continue on its journey, while the screen ends its journey at 15. Ultimately, the question is whether there will be interference before detection and no interference after detection.
San K
In a single particle double slit (self-interference) experiment:

the which-way information is got by having the detection instrument (or at-least part of the instrumentation) right next to the slits.To make it easier, Let's assume the following x-coordinates:

at source of photon x = 0
slits are at say x = 10
the final screen (i.e. where the pattern is formed) is at, say, x = 20

The question is:

1. can we detect the photon at x = 15? (i.e. somewhere between the slits and the screen)

if so,

2. would it's location (i.e y-coordinates at x =15) be consistent with self-interference of the wave function? i.e. show an interference pattern at x = 15? and if we were to let it proceed further (after detection) would it just proceed in a straight line and show a blob at x = 20?

thus interference till the time the photon is not detected and no-interference after that for sometime.

i hope i have been able to explain the question accurately, else I will do so in my responses

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

How is this different from just putting the screen at 15 instead of 20?

Nugatory said:
How is this different from just putting the screen at 15 instead of 20?

good question.

the detector allows the photon to carry/pass on its journey beyond 15

the screen ends the journey of the photon... at the screen at 15

anyhow, i think you answered my question

Last edited:

1. How does the distance between the double slits and the screen affect the detection of photons?

The distance between the double slits and the screen plays a crucial role in the detection of photons. As the distance increases, the interference pattern formed by the photons becomes more spread out and less defined. This is because the photons have a longer distance to travel, leading to a decrease in coherence and an increase in diffraction. On the other hand, decreasing the distance between the slits and the screen results in a more concentrated and defined interference pattern.

2. What is the relationship between the intensity of the photon pattern and the distance from the double slits to the screen?

The intensity of the photon pattern is inversely proportional to the distance from the double slits to the screen. This means that as the distance between the slits and the screen increases, the intensity of the pattern decreases. This is due to the spreading out and diffraction of the photons, resulting in a decrease in the number of photons hitting a specific area on the screen.

3. Can the wavelength of photons affect the interference pattern at mid-way between the slits and the screen?

Yes, the wavelength of photons can greatly affect the interference pattern at mid-way between the slits and the screen. This is because the distance between the slits and the screen is comparable to the wavelength of the photons. Different wavelengths of light will result in different interference patterns, as each will have a different diffraction pattern and coherence length.

4. How does the width of the double slits affect the detection of photons at mid-way to the screen?

The width of the double slits also plays a significant role in the detection of photons at mid-way to the screen. A wider slit will result in a broader interference pattern, while a narrower slit will produce a more defined and concentrated pattern. This is because the width of the slit affects the diffraction of photons passing through it, thus impacting the interference pattern formed on the screen.

5. Is the detection of photons at mid-way between the slits and the screen affected by the material of the double slits?

Yes, the material of the double slits can affect the detection of photons at mid-way to the screen. Different materials have different properties, such as transparency and reflectivity, which can impact the behavior of photons passing through them. This can result in variations in the interference pattern formed on the screen, making the material of the slits an important factor to consider in the study of photon detection.