How much solar heat will my electronics enclosure put on my air conditioner?

In summary, the electronics enclosure with a top of 23.3 square feet and a glossy white paint that absorbs only 14 percent of solar heat will absorb 316.414 watts from solar radiation. This is converted to 1079.9 btu per hour. The top also has an R value of 9. To determine the amount of solar radiation that will get through the top, you will need to calculate the equilibrium temperature of the box surface using equations for conduction and convection. This will allow you to determine the amount of heat rejected to the atmosphere and the amount that must be removed by your air conditioner.
bkelly
We have an electronics enclosure that has a top with 23.3 square feet. It is painted white and I have read that a glossy white paint will absorb only 14 percent of the solar heat. That tells me that of the the 97 watts per square foot from solar radiation this top will will absorb 13.58 watts for a total of 316.414 watts. I understand that 316.414 watts is converted to btu via the constant 3.413 resulting in 1079.9 btu per hour.

The top has an R value of 9. How many watts of this solar radiation will get though the top? In other words, how much load will the solar energy put on my air conditioner?

Thank you,
B Kelly

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think you're going to have to determine the surface temperature of the panel at equilibrium.

As the surface temperature warms up, part of that 316 watts is lost through convection to the atmosphere. It is going to heat the air as it passes over the panel.

Part of that 316 watts will also be conducted through your insulation and warm the enclosure.

So the total 316 watts can be broken up into heat rejected to atmosphere (A) due to convection and heat rejected into the box (B) which must be removed by your air conditioner. The relative portions of A and B must be determined by calculating the equilibrium temperature of the box surface where the solar energy is 'deposited'.

Hello Q,
Somehow I knew this was more complicated that I was planning on. I don't know how to come up with the equilibrium temperature. The only thing I think I know is that with the small size of the top and its r-value, the heat from the electronics inside overwhelms the solar gain. I will just work it from that angle. I expect to average about 2000 btu per hour during normal operation, but can spike up to about 5700 btu. I figure about 6000 btu unit will do fine.

Thanks for your time,
Bryan

Hi Bryan. It's not that hard actually to find that temperature. You have two equations, one for conduction through the top of the box and one for convection where you're rejecting heat to atmosphere.

Q total = Q atm + Q box

Q total = hAdT + k/L dT

Adjust the equations to fit your units, etc...

Your Q total is the 316 watts. So the total heat Q atm and Q box must equal that. You know the temperature inside the box and the temperature of the atmosphere so the only variable is the equilibrium temperature. From that, you get both Q atm and Q box.

1. How does solar heating work?

Solar heating works by using solar panels or collectors to capture sunlight and convert it into heat energy. This heat energy can then be used to warm up water or air, which can be used for various purposes such as heating homes or powering appliances.

2. What are the benefits of using solar heating?

There are many benefits to using solar heating. First and foremost, it is a renewable energy source, meaning it will never run out. It is also environmentally friendly, as it does not produce any emissions or pollutants. Additionally, using solar heating can save money on energy bills in the long run.

3. How does solar heating affect the environment?

Solar heating has a positive impact on the environment. By using the sun's energy, it reduces the need for fossil fuels, which are major contributors to air pollution and climate change. It also helps to conserve natural resources and decrease our carbon footprint.

4. What factors can affect the efficiency of solar heating?

There are several factors that can affect the efficiency of solar heating. The amount of sunlight available, the angle and orientation of the solar panels, and the type and quality of the solar panels all play a role. Other factors such as temperature, cloud cover, and shading can also impact the efficiency of solar heating systems.

5. Is solar heating a cost-effective option?

In the long run, solar heating can be a cost-effective option. While the initial installation cost may be higher than traditional heating systems, the savings on energy bills over time can make up for it. Additionally, there may be tax incentives or rebates available for installing solar heating systems.