Effect of water flow on electrical resistance

In summary: MHD thrusters (magnetoplasmadynamic, etc) are a real thing.In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the flow rate of water and its electrical resistance. The hypothesis is that a higher flow rate leads to a lower resistance. The results from testing support this hypothesis, but the reason behind it is still unclear. One possible explanation is that the resistance of water can affect the flow rate, as seen in magnetohydrodynamic propulsion. However, further investigation is needed to fully understand this phenomenon.
mikeyb555
I have been investigating the effect the flow rate of water has on the electrical resistance of the water. My hypothesis is that the faster the water flow rate the lower the electrical resistance.

I have tested this using a fairly basic rig to regulate different flow rates and a multimeter and so far my results have supported the hypothesis.

Problem is I cannot really fathom why. I originally thought that the drop in resistance could be explained by the water moving the electricity faster between the two points, but this doesn’t really explain the large drop in resistance I am recording.
Any insights into this would be really helpful, I am finding it hard to continue the investigation without a reasonable explanation.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Although there may be no direct effect of the flow rate of water on the resistance of water, the resistance of water can have an effect on the flow rate. If water has a resistance, like ocean water, then if you flow a current I through ithe water, and have a large magnetic field B orthogonal to the current, then there will be a force (propulsion) perpendicular to both the current and magnetic field. This is the Lorentz force F = I x B. Google "magnetohydrodynamic propulsion" for information,

for sharing your research on the effect of water flow on electrical resistance. Your hypothesis and results are certainly intriguing. From a scientific perspective, there are a few potential explanations for this phenomenon.

One possible explanation could be the change in temperature of the water as it flows at different rates. Water temperature can affect its electrical conductivity and resistance. As the water flows faster, it may cool down, resulting in a decrease in resistance.

Another factor to consider is the presence of impurities in the water. These impurities, such as minerals or pollutants, can affect the electrical resistance of water. As the water flows faster, it may be able to carry more of these impurities, resulting in a decrease in resistance.

Additionally, the physical movement of the water molecules as they flow could also play a role in reducing resistance. The faster the water flows, the more turbulent the movement of the molecules, which could disrupt the flow of electricity and lead to a decrease in resistance.

It is also important to note that the relationship between water flow rate and electrical resistance may not be a simple linear one. There could be other factors at play, such as the size and shape of the container, the type of electrodes used, and the distance between them. These variables could all impact the results and should be taken into consideration in future experiments.

In order to gain a better understanding of the underlying mechanisms at play, it may be helpful to conduct further experiments with controlled variables and to analyze the water samples for temperature and impurities. This could provide more insights into the specific factors contributing to the decrease in resistance.

Overall, your research provides interesting results and raises important questions for further investigation. Keep exploring and considering different factors that could potentially explain your findings. This type of scientific inquiry and curiosity is essential for advancing our understanding of the world around us. Good luck with your future experiments!

1. How does water flow affect electrical resistance?

Water flow can have a significant impact on electrical resistance. When water flows through a material, it can create a path for electrons to move more easily, resulting in a decrease in resistance. This is because the water molecules act as conductors, allowing the current to flow more smoothly.

2. Can water flow increase electrical resistance?

In some cases, water flow can actually increase electrical resistance. This is because if the water contains impurities or minerals, it can act as an insulator and hinder the flow of electrons. Additionally, if the water is moving too quickly, it can create turbulence and disrupt the flow of current, leading to an increase in resistance.

3. How does the type of water affect electrical resistance?

The type of water can have a significant impact on electrical resistance. Pure water, such as distilled water, has a very high resistance due to the lack of impurities. On the other hand, mineral-rich or saltwater can have a lower resistance due to the presence of conductive ions. The temperature of the water can also affect its conductivity and therefore its impact on electrical resistance.

4. Is there a specific formula for calculating the effect of water flow on electrical resistance?

There is no specific formula for calculating the effect of water flow on electrical resistance, as it can vary depending on the specific conditions and materials involved. However, the general principle is that an increase in water flow can decrease resistance, while an increase in impurities or turbulence can increase resistance. Conductivity of the water can also play a role in the calculation.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying the effect of water flow on electrical resistance?

Studying the effect of water flow on electrical resistance can have practical applications in a variety of industries, such as plumbing, hydroelectric power generation, and electronics. Understanding how water flow can affect resistance can help engineers design more efficient systems and troubleshoot any issues that may arise. It can also be helpful in predicting the impact of water on different materials and preventing corrosion or other damage. Additionally, it can aid in the development of new technologies that utilize water flow and electricity, such as desalination plants or water turbines.