Effective mass versus bandgap

In summary, the effective mass of an electron in a semiconductor is proportional to the bandgap energy. This is due to the "no-crossing" theorem and the Mott-Wannier exciton, which take into account the properties of the material and the effect of the lattice potential. This means that changing the mass is equivalent to changing the charge in this case. Furthermore, in a crystal lattice, the electron becomes a quasiparticle with an exact energy and an average momentum, due to the reflection of the electron along the lattice.
Siggy
Hello-

I feel that this is a "graduate-level" question, so I hope that this question is not found to be insultingly easy.

Can someone help me gain an understanding of why bandgap and electron effective mass in semiconductors are proportional to one another (e.g. trend of C, Si, Ge, alpha-Sn shows decreasing bandgap and decreasing electron effective mass)? Or connect me to appropriate links or books with a good explanation? A combo of rigor and intuition would be best, though at this point, I would settle for the intuitive part.

Regards,
Siggy

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're talking about a direct-gap material, you can use k.p perturbation theory to solve for the periodic part of the Bloch function (for small k values). This will give you an expression for the E-k relation, which in turn gives you the effective mass.

Roughly speaking, the result is because of Wigner's "no-crossing" theorem. As you vary the strength of a potential continuously, even if it looks like two distinct energy levels will intersect with each other (i.e., become degenerate), they never will. Instead, they "repel" each other and continue on their merry way.

When you're talking about two strongly coupled energy bands, they will also repel each other (with the k value representing the thing you are continuously varying). How quickly they repel each other depends on how close they start together (i.e., the energy gap). So, if two bands are very close to each other at k=0, they will quickly separate for nonzero k values, resulting in a small effective mass. If they are energetically very far apart from each other, they are essentially uncoupled and won't even see each other, and will have an effective mass equal to the free electron mass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excitons#Subtypes

Excitons can be treated in two limiting cases, which depend on the properties of the material in question. In semiconductors, the dielectric constant is generally large, and as a result, screening tends to reduce the Coulomb interaction between electrons and holes. The result is a Mott-Wannier exciton, which has a radius much larger than the lattice spacing. As a result, the effect of the lattice potential can be incorporated into the effective masses of the electron and hole, and because of the lower masses and the screened Coulomb interaction, the binding energy is usually much less than a hydrogen atom, typically on the order of 0.1 eV.

that article makes it sound as though one can consider either the mass or the charge to change. (the charge being screened by the movement of bound charges in the dielectric).

I don't really understand how changing the mass is equivalent to changing the charge though.

Last edited:
Siggy said:
Can someone help me gain an understanding of why bandgap and electron effective mass in semiconductors are proportional to one another (e.g. trend of C, Si,
Ge, alpha-Sn shows decreasing bandgap and decreasing electron effective mass)? Or connect me to appropriate links or books with a good explanation? A combo of rigor and intuition would be best, though at this point, I would settle for the intuitive part.
Dear Siggy.
This question is very simple, but i had never seen it cleared enough.
Especially when it is mixed with Fermi energy and definitions of "zero" energy and "zero" momentum in the p-E plane of electron-quasiparticle.

I try to explain this topic.

1. For free electron. There are orbitals with momentum p and energy E. For each E we have two orbitals: p and -p.
[tex]E=p^2/(2m)[/tex]

2. In crystal lattice there is no free electron. Electron is believed to become a quasiparticle, ie it occupies the orbital with exact energy E(!) and averaged momentum of operator p=<p>.

E exact because orbital is exact solution of Shroedinger equation in crystal potential.
p could not be exact eigenvalue of operator p because operator p does not commute with crystal potential.

Orbital is the linear combination of eigenfunctions of operator p.

3. In crystal we can childly assume that when electron move along lattice it is partly reflected back (bragg reflection) and then again re-reflected and so on. The reflection is especially big if
a) initial pi and reflected pr are connected:
|pi-pr|=const=invers lattice vector (conservation of momentum)
b) Ei and Er are very close.

I can't save the message so You can see it http://sites.google.com/site/psidouble/effective-mass-physicsforum"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the relationship between effective mass and bandgap?

The effective mass and bandgap of a material are two important properties that are closely related. Effective mass refers to the mass of an electron or hole in a specific energy band of a material, while bandgap is the energy difference between the top of the valence band and the bottom of the conduction band. In general, materials with a smaller effective mass tend to have a larger bandgap, and vice versa.

2. How does effective mass affect the electrical properties of a material?

Effective mass plays a crucial role in determining the electrical properties of a material. In semiconductors, for example, a smaller effective mass means that electrons and holes can move more easily, resulting in a higher conductivity. On the other hand, materials with larger effective mass tend to have lower conductivity and can even exhibit insulating behavior.

3. Can effective mass and bandgap be modified in a material?

Yes, the effective mass and bandgap of a material can be modified through various methods, such as alloying, doping, and strain engineering. Alloying involves combining two or more materials to create a new material with different properties. Doping involves introducing impurities into a material to alter its electrical properties. Strain engineering involves applying mechanical stress to a material to change its electronic band structure, which can affect the effective mass and bandgap.

4. How do effective mass and bandgap impact the performance of electronic devices?

The effective mass and bandgap of a material have a significant impact on the performance of electronic devices. For example, materials with small effective mass and large bandgap are suitable for high-speed electronic devices, while materials with large effective mass and small bandgap are better for devices that require high power. The choice of materials with specific effective mass and bandgap is crucial in the design and optimization of electronic devices.

5. How do researchers measure effective mass and bandgap in a material?

There are various experimental techniques used to measure effective mass and bandgap in a material. One common method is through optical spectroscopy, which involves shining light of different wavelengths on a material and measuring the absorption or emission of photons. Other methods include electrical transport measurements, such as Hall effect and resistivity measurements, and theoretical calculations using techniques like density functional theory.