1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Effective potential

1. Mar 17, 2005 #1
    Hey everyone!

I have an exam question, but I don't know how to approach it. The question is,

"Discuss orbits of bodies in the Solar System using the effective potential method."

I thought about every planet having a certain amount of kinetic and potential energy, showing how they balance out as a planet orbits the Sun. During lectures we havn't mentioned the effective potential, so hopefully someone here will enlighten me. I really hope so, and it would make me very grateful.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2005 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The energy of an orbiting body is:

[tex]E = KE + PE = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 + V(r) = constant[/tex]

If you break the velocity into a radial and tangential component and use polar coordinates:

[tex]KE = \frac{1}{2}m(\frac{dr}{dt})^2 + \frac{1}{2}m(rd\theta/dt)^2 = \frac{1}{2}m(\frac{dr}{dt})^2 + \frac{1}{2}mr^2\omega^2[/tex]

Substituting angular momentum [itex]L = mr^2\omega[/itex]:

[tex]KE = \frac{1}{2}m(\frac{dr}{dt})^2 + \frac{L^2}{2mr^2}[/tex]

Since the force is central (no torque) L is constant. If you let:

[tex]V_{eff}(r) = V(r) + \frac{L^2}{2mr^2}[/tex] you can write the energy equation as:

[tex]E = \frac{1}{2}m(\frac{dr}{dt})^2+ V_{eff}(r) = constant[/tex]

Then you can think of the variable energy in terms of the rate of change of the radius.

Consider an oribit in which the V_eff = constant; where V_eff has a minimum and maximum; where V_eff has a minimum but no maximum.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2005
  4. Mar 18, 2005 #3
    Thanks alot! And I mean a lot! :-)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?