Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Effective potential

1. Mar 17, 2005 #1
    Hey everyone!

I have an exam question, but I don't know how to approach it. The question is,

"Discuss orbits of bodies in the Solar System using the effective potential method."

I thought about every planet having a certain amount of kinetic and potential energy, showing how they balance out as a planet orbits the Sun. During lectures we havn't mentioned the effective potential, so hopefully someone here will enlighten me. I really hope so, and it would make me very grateful.

Orange

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2005 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The energy of an orbiting body is:

[tex]E = KE + PE = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 + V(r) = constant[/tex]

If you break the velocity into a radial and tangential component and use polar coordinates:

[tex]KE = \frac{1}{2}m(\frac{dr}{dt})^2 + \frac{1}{2}m(rd\theta/dt)^2 = \frac{1}{2}m(\frac{dr}{dt})^2 + \frac{1}{2}mr^2\omega^2[/tex]

Substituting angular momentum [itex]L = mr^2\omega[/itex]:

[tex]KE = \frac{1}{2}m(\frac{dr}{dt})^2 + \frac{L^2}{2mr^2}[/tex]

Since the force is central (no torque) L is constant. If you let:

[tex]V_{eff}(r) = V(r) + \frac{L^2}{2mr^2}[/tex] you can write the energy equation as:

[tex]E = \frac{1}{2}m(\frac{dr}{dt})^2+ V_{eff}(r) = constant[/tex]

Then you can think of the variable energy in terms of the rate of change of the radius.

Consider an oribit in which the V_eff = constant; where V_eff has a minimum and maximum; where V_eff has a minimum but no maximum.

AM

Last edited: Mar 17, 2005
  4. Mar 18, 2005 #3
    Thanks alot! And I mean a lot! :-)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook