1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Effective resistance of secondary circuit in transformers

1. Aug 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You need a transformer to reduce a voltage of 150 V in the primary circuit to 25 V in the secondary circuit. The primary circuit has 130 windings and the secondary circuit is completed through a 55 ? resistor. (a) How many windings should the secondary circuit contain? (b) What is the effective resistance of the secondary circuit?

2. Relevant equations

V2/V1=N2/N1

Reff= R(N1/N2)^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I solved part A. N2 is 22 windings. However, part B is 1500 but I can't seem to get that answer! I used the above equation but it doesn't give me that answer. Is the Reff equation that I'm using wrong? Please help me!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2010 #2
    i think you got the secondary circuit voltage and windings also. ya its correct secondary circuit resistance is depend on load only.

4. Aug 4, 2010 #3
    Yes, but if I plug in the values with that equation I don't get 1500 for part B. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook