Effects of External Pressure on a Cone

In summary, the discussion focused on calculating stresses due to external pressure on a hollow, uniformly-thick cylinder. The question then shifted to whether there is a well-known method for computing hoop stress on the interior of a cone with a hollow cylindrical interior and external pressure acting perpendicularly to the tapered exterior. The conversation also mentioned a previous Google search that did not provide the desired information.
Shain3
In my study I deal with tubulars frequently, and it is well known how to calculate stresses due to external pressure on a (hollow) uniformly-thick cylinder (i.e. a pipe).

Suppose now that I have a cone, tapering downward like a V, with a hollow cylindrical interior (like the inside of a pipe) to which I apply external pressure. Given that the pressure will act perpendicularly to the tapered exterior of the cone, is there a well-known way to compute stresses (specifically hoop stress) on the interior of this body? Or perhaps someone could point me in the direction of some analogous derivation that could get me started?

Physics news on Phys.org
To be honest I was hoping for something more insightful than a non-specific google search I'd already done.

The search results include the derivation you were asking about.

1. How does external pressure affect the shape of a cone?

External pressure on a cone can cause it to compress and deform, resulting in a change in its overall shape. This is due to the force of the pressure acting on the cone's surface, causing it to collapse inwards.

2. What happens to the volume of a cone under external pressure?

As external pressure increases on a cone, the volume of the cone decreases. This is because the cone is being compressed, causing the molecules to pack together more tightly.

3. Can external pressure cause a cone to collapse?

Yes, if the external pressure is strong enough, it can cause a cone to collapse. This is because the force of the pressure is greater than the structural integrity of the cone, causing it to break or deform.

4. How does the material of the cone affect its response to external pressure?

The material of the cone plays a significant role in its response to external pressure. A cone made of a more rigid material, such as metal, will be less affected by external pressure compared to a cone made of a softer material, such as foam.

5. Is there a limit to how much external pressure a cone can withstand?

Yes, there is a limit to how much external pressure a cone can withstand before it collapses. This limit is determined by the strength of the cone's material and its structural integrity. If the pressure exceeds this limit, the cone will deform or break.