Pressure vessels, wall thickness

In summary, the pressure vessel should be treated as a thick walled cylinder. The wall thickness required for the pressure vessel is 0.231m.
which equations are they Big Jock? do you mean thickness ratio?

Physics news on Phys.org
yeah thickness ratio equations got those answers and from everything else I have read on this question I believe all the answers are in this thread. I just re worked them all to confirm the answers I got and to make sure I was 100% correct with what I had come up with

im totally confused. so far i have done the following...

calculate the radius r = √(20 / 2∏) = 1.784mcalculate the hoop stress σ = 96526602.1 / 5 = 19.3x106 (2800psi)

calculate wall thickness t = (1.784 x 362.6) / 2800 = 0.231mthickness ratio = 1.784 / 0.231 = 7.72im totally confused as to what i need to do next...

Radius minus wall thickness = inside radius...

ok so Ri = 1.553m and Ro= 1.784m

what am i looking to find out with these figures?

Subtract outer radius from inner radius you get you wall thickness also put Ri and Ro into your wall thickness equations, see if that helps

Big Jock said:
Subtract outer radius from inner radius you get you wall thickness also put Ri and Ro into your wall thickness equations, see if that helps

yes but that's just based on thin walled. Subtracting wall thickness from radius is based on the same figures as when taking ri from ro

I had another look at this. Do I need to use thick wall equations with thin wall values, to get a more accurate value for Hoop Stress σh, and then use this new value of σh to re-calculate the wall thickness?

so using known values in thick walled equations...

when r = ri = 1553mm

Axial Stress = 7.82MPa
Hoop Stress = 18.1MPa
Radial Stress = -2.5MPa

when r = ro = 1784mm

Axial Stress = 7.82MPa
Hoop Stress = 15.6MPa
Radial Strss = 0MPa

do i now need to recalculate wall thickness?

can anyone help?

oxon88 said:
I had another look at this. Do I need to use thick wall equations with thin wall values, to get a more accurate value for Hoop Stress σh, and then use this new value of σh to re-calculate the wall thickness?

Hi Oxon.

Long time ago I did this but, yes, calculate as per the textbook for approximation of wall thickness. Then take that value and repeat with appropriate equation for the approximated thickness to get true thickness.

Hope that helps?