Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Efficiency is 13% for CO2 fixation using solar radiation Photosynthesi

1. May 8, 2005 #1
    What is the approx. efficiency of the conversion of light energy to chemical energy in photosynthesis?

a. 100%
    b. 95%
    c. 15%
    d. 1%

I doubt that it is 100%. Is it 15%? I did a search, and I read that the efficiency is 13% for CO2 fixation using solar radiation. I don't know if this is reasonable.

Thanks for any replies.

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2005 #2

JamesU

Gold Member

I haven't been on this topic for awhile so excuse me if I'm wrong. But aren't the pigments af light energy stored using adenosine tri-phosphate?(chemical energy) :smile:

4. May 8, 2005 #3
    You mean, ATP? I think the light reactions (photophosphorylation) make ATP from ADP and P using solar energy.

5. May 8, 2005 #4
    Going by generalization there is the "Rule of 10". Where roughly each trophic level consumes/converts energy at ~10% efficiency. I think the maximum efficiency is around 20% for levels, so my assumption would be the 15% solution.

100% should be a giveaway because no metabolic process is going to be perfectly efficient.

6. May 11, 2005 #5
    prabably about 15%

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?