1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Efficiency is 13% for CO2 fixation using solar radiation Photosynthesi

1. May 8, 2005 #1
    What is the approx. efficiency of the conversion of light energy to chemical energy in photosynthesis?

a. 100%
    b. 95%
    c. 15%
    d. 1%

I doubt that it is 100%. Is it 15%? I did a search, and I read that the efficiency is 13% for CO2 fixation using solar radiation. I don't know if this is reasonable.

Thanks for any replies.

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2005 #2

JamesU

Gold Member

I haven't been on this topic for awhile so excuse me if I'm wrong. But aren't the pigments af light energy stored using adenosine tri-phosphate?(chemical energy) :smile:

4. May 8, 2005 #3
    You mean, ATP? I think the light reactions (photophosphorylation) make ATP from ADP and P using solar energy.

5. May 8, 2005 #4
    Going by generalization there is the "Rule of 10". Where roughly each trophic level consumes/converts energy at ~10% efficiency. I think the maximum efficiency is around 20% for levels, so my assumption would be the 15% solution.

100% should be a giveaway because no metabolic process is going to be perfectly efficient.

6. May 11, 2005 #5
    prabably about 15%

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?