1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Efficiency of a cycle from a diagram

1. Apr 24, 2012 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the efficiency of the heat machine that is shown in the figure. Draw the corresponding Carnot cycle diagram in the S-T plane.

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]\varepsilon = \frac{ \Delta W}{\Delta Q}[/itex].
    [itex]\Delta Q = T \Delta S[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    My problem lies in evaluating [itex]\Delta Q[/itex] for the process 1 (or from A to B).
    For the process 2, [itex]\Delta Q=T_2(S_2-S_1)[/itex].
    For the process 3, [itex]\Delta Q=0[/itex] because there's no change in entropy.
    But I'm stuck at process 1. My attempt was [itex]\Delta Q=\Delta T \Delta S=(T_2-T_1)(S_2-S_1)[/itex] but I know this doesn't make any sense.
    Using that non sensical result I find [itex]\varepsilon = \frac{1}{T_2-\frac{T_2^2}{T_1}}[/itex] which makes no sense because if [itex]T_1=T_2[/itex] I get an infinite efficiency while I should get 0. A friend of mine reached [itex]\varepsilon =\frac{T_1-T_2}{T_1+T_2}[/itex] but I don't know how he did nor if that's right either.
    Any help is appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2012 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Did you consider that ##dQ=TdS##, and that if T changes with S that then ##ΔQ=∫TdS##?

4. Apr 24, 2012 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

Actually not! haha.
    Now I reach the same answer as my friend. Thank you very much for that. :biggrin:
    Hmm I'll think about the Carnot cycle. If I need help I'll post here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook