Efficiency of a cycle from a diagram

In summary, the task at hand is to calculate the efficiency of a heat machine by using the equation ε = ΔW/ΔQ and drawing a Carnot cycle diagram in the S-T plane. The homework equations provided are ΔQ = TΔS and ΔQ = ∫TdS. The student faces difficulty in evaluating ΔQ for process 1 and attempts to solve it using ΔQ = ΔTΔS, but realizes it does not make sense. Upon considering that dQ = TdS and ΔQ = ∫TdS, the student reaches the same answer as their friend, which is ε = (T1-T2)/(T1+T2). Further assistance may be needed for drawing the
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Calculate the efficiency of the heat machine that is shown in the figure. Draw the corresponding Carnot cycle diagram in the S-T plane.

Homework Equations

[itex]\varepsilon = \frac{ \Delta W}{\Delta Q}[/itex].
[itex]\Delta Q = T \Delta S[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem lies in evaluating [itex]\Delta Q[/itex] for the process 1 (or from A to B).
For the process 2, [itex]\Delta Q=T_2(S_2-S_1)[/itex].
For the process 3, [itex]\Delta Q=0[/itex] because there's no change in entropy.
But I'm stuck at process 1. My attempt was [itex]\Delta Q=\Delta T \Delta S=(T_2-T_1)(S_2-S_1)[/itex] but I know this doesn't make any sense.
Using that non sensical result I find [itex]\varepsilon = \frac{1}{T_2-\frac{T_2^2}{T_1}}[/itex] which makes no sense because if [itex]T_1=T_2[/itex] I get an infinite efficiency while I should get 0. A friend of mine reached [itex]\varepsilon =\frac{T_1-T_2}{T_1+T_2}[/itex] but I don't know how he did nor if that's right either.
Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• cycle.jpg
    cycle.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 358
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you consider that ##dQ=TdS##, and that if T changes with S that then ##ΔQ=∫TdS##?

I like Serena said:
Did you consider that ##dQ=TdS##, and that if T changes with S that then ##ΔQ=∫TdS##?
Actually not! haha.
Now I reach the same answer as my friend. Thank you very much for that. :biggrin:
Hmm I'll think about the Carnot cycle. If I need help I'll post here.

FAQ: Efficiency of a cycle from a diagram

1. What is the efficiency of a cycle?

The efficiency of a cycle is a measure of how effectively a system converts energy into useful work. It is expressed as a percentage and can range from 0% (no useful work) to 100% (all energy converted to useful work).

2. How is the efficiency of a cycle calculated?

The efficiency of a cycle is calculated by dividing the useful work output by the total energy input. This can be expressed as: Efficiency = (Useful work output / Total energy input) x 100%.

3. What factors affect the efficiency of a cycle?

The efficiency of a cycle can be affected by several factors, such as the type of energy input (e.g. heat, electricity), the design of the system, and the efficiency of individual components within the system (e.g. engines, turbines).

4. How can the efficiency of a cycle be improved?

The efficiency of a cycle can be improved by optimizing the design of the system, using more efficient components, and minimizing energy losses through insulation and other methods. Regular maintenance and proper operation can also help improve efficiency.

5. Can the efficiency of a cycle be greater than 100%?

No, the efficiency of a cycle cannot be greater than 100%. This would violate the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only converted from one form to another. However, it is possible to have an efficiency of greater than 100% for individual components within a system.