1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Efield in Composite WirePls help

1. Feb 12, 2008 #1
    Efield in Composite Wire..Pls help!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 2.0m length of wire is made by welding the end of a 1.2m long silver wire to the end of an 0.8m long copper wire. Each piece of wire is 0.60mm in diameter. The wire is at room temperature. A potential difference of 5.0V is maintained between the ends of the 2.0m composite wire. What is the magnitude of E in the copper?

2. Relevant equations
    E='roe'J , 'roe' is resistivity
    J=I/A, A is cross sectional area
    I= 45amperes
    A= 2.827*10^-7 sqm

Resistivity of copper= 1.72*10^-8
    Resistivity of silver= 1.47*10^-8

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to calculate J first by substituting in values of I and A using the formula J=I/A and multiplying by 'roe'_copper but i still cant get the right answer!! I would like to ask the concept behind the E of a composite wire too..

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

First, if you could post what you've done it might be easier to spot a mistake. Secondly what value were you using for I?

4. Feb 12, 2008 #3
    Mmm.. i found out that I=45amperes and A=2.827*10^-7 sqm and found out that J=1.59*10^8. To find E in copper section i multiplied this J by 'roe'_copper= 1.72*10^-8 to get E=2.74V/m. But the answer is wrong. thanks!

5. Feb 13, 2008 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When I work out the current I get something different. I take it you found current by:

[tex] I = \frac{VA}{\rho l}[/tex]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  6. Feb 13, 2008 #5
    Yup i found it by using this formula whereby i added the resistance of each component using their respective length and 'roe' since they are in series before dividing 5V with the total resistance to get 45amperes.
    i obtained J by I/A, where I=45amperes and A= 2.827*10^-7 sqm to get J=1.59*10^8 A/m^2.
    I cant get the idea of finding E using E= 'roe'_copper*J to find E in copper section though.

7. Feb 13, 2008 #6

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It could just be that you are using the wrong resistivity for silver. It is listed as 1.59x10-8 elsewhere.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?