Magnitude of the electric field in a copper wire.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 16K views
Pepjag
Messages
9
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



In the circuit shown, two thick copper wires connect a 1.5 V battery to a Nichrome wire. Each copper wire has radius R = 7 mm and is L = 18 cm long. Copper has 8.4 × 10^28 mobile electrons per cubic meter and an electron mobility of 4.4×10^−3 (m/s)/(V/m). The Nichrome wire is l = 5 cm long and has radius r = 3 mm. Nichrome has 9 × 10^28 mobile electrons/m3 and an electron mobility of 7 × 10^−5 (m/s)/(V/m). What is the magnitude of the electric field in the copper wire? Answer in units of N/C
14e008af-1ee3-40de-a0f2-3a921331ba0d.jpe


Homework Equations



[itex]\bar{v}[/itex][itex]_{thin}[/itex]=(A[itex]_{thick}[/itex]/A[itex]_{thin}[/itex])[itex]\bar{v}[/itex][itex]_{thick}[/itex]

[itex]\bar{v}[/itex] = uE

E=V/L

The Attempt at a Solution



I plug in my known values, but I have two unknowns, the electric fields. I'm not sure how to use these equations.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I had figured it out for a while now but thanks anyway. I just had to use the electron current formula and the voltage loop formula (as you stated); Plug in numbers, solve for e-field and plug into the other equation.
 
Cool - hopefully someone else stuck on a similar problem will benefit from your question ;)