1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Egg Throw Physics Project?

1. Dec 15, 2013 #1
    My teacher is having us do an Egg Throw off of a building at our school. Further the distance, the more points we score on our grade. The project is pass/fail, if the egg breaks we get a 0. However, 60% of the actual project is a write-up explaining the concepts that happen to the egg as it is in motion and when it lands.

However, my main problem is I don't really know how to begin. The rules are: nothing electrical or chemical, and the egg must be visible at all times during the throw. How should I approach protecting the egg? Any additional info I will add on as I remember.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2013 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

What materials are you allowed to use? You can't play the game without knowing the ground rules.

4. Dec 15, 2013 #3
    Anything, which is kinda nice.

5. Dec 15, 2013 #4
    Theoretically I could just wrap it in a ton of bubble wrap, but I would also have to explain it in the write-up qualitatively

6. Dec 15, 2013 #5

Curious3141

Homework Helper

If you can really use *anything*, then think about what you need to do to ensure an intact egg at the bottom. Protecting the egg upon landing is nice, but how can you slow its descent down?

7. Dec 16, 2013 #6

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

You said in post #1 that the egg as to be visible. If so, how could you wrap it in bubble wrap. Did you mean that the CONTAINER it is in has to be visible?

8. Dec 16, 2013 #7
    I misread the guidelines. The egg does not necessarily have to be visible. However curious3141, I'm not sure if I would like to slow it's descent down, as I would like to make the egg travel a farther distance also. But a parachute type contraption could work

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted