Egg Throw Physics: Protecting the Egg During a Building Drop

In summary, the conversation is about a school project where students are required to do an Egg Throw off a building. The distance of the throw determines the points earned on their grade. The project is pass/fail and 60% of it involves a write-up on the concepts related to the egg's motion and landing. The main concern is how to protect the egg during the throw, with the only rules being no electrical or chemical materials and the egg must be visible. The person is unsure of how to begin and is asking for suggestions on what materials to use and how to ensure the egg's safety. They also mention the possibility of using a parachute contraption to slow down the egg's descent.
azhang40
My teacher is having us do an Egg Throw off of a building at our school. Further the distance, the more points we score on our grade. The project is pass/fail, if the egg breaks we get a 0. However, 60% of the actual project is a write-up explaining the concepts that happen to the egg as it is in motion and when it lands.

However, my main problem is I don't really know how to begin. The rules are: nothing electrical or chemical, and the egg must be visible at all times during the throw. How should I approach protecting the egg? Any additional info I will add on as I remember.

Physics news on Phys.org
What materials are you allowed to use? You can't play the game without knowing the ground rules.

Anything, which is kinda nice.

Theoretically I could just wrap it in a ton of bubble wrap, but I would also have to explain it in the write-up qualitatively

If you can really use *anything*, then think about what you need to do to ensure an intact egg at the bottom. Protecting the egg upon landing is nice, but how can you slow its descent down?

You said in post #1 that the egg as to be visible. If so, how could you wrap it in bubble wrap. Did you mean that the CONTAINER it is in has to be visible?

I misread the guidelines. The egg does not necessarily have to be visible. However curious3141, I'm not sure if I would like to slow it's descent down, as I would like to make the egg travel a farther distance also. But a parachute type contraption could work

1) What is the purpose of the Egg Throw Physics Project?

The purpose of the Egg Throw Physics Project is to demonstrate the principles of projectile motion and how different factors such as angle and force can affect the trajectory of an object.

2) How is the Egg Throw Physics Project conducted?

The Egg Throw Physics Project involves setting up a target and throwing eggs at different angles and with varying force to see how far they travel and where they land. The data collected can then be used to analyze the relationship between angle, force, and distance.

3) What materials are needed for the Egg Throw Physics Project?

To conduct the Egg Throw Physics Project, you will need eggs, a target (such as a wall or a marked surface), a measuring tape, and a device to measure the angle and force of the throw (such as a protractor and a force meter).

4) What can be learned from the results of the Egg Throw Physics Project?

The results of the Egg Throw Physics Project can provide insights into the relationship between angle, force, and distance in projectile motion. It can also demonstrate the impact of air resistance and other external factors on the trajectory of an object.

5) How can the Egg Throw Physics Project be expanded or modified?

The Egg Throw Physics Project can be expanded by using different objects (such as balls or paper airplanes) instead of eggs. It can also be modified by changing the angle and force of the throw or by introducing obstacles in the path of the projectile to see how it affects the trajectory.