Eigenvectors from complex eigenvalues

In summary, to systematically find the eigenvectors of a 2x2 (or higher) Real matrix given complex eigenvalues, one can use the same method as finding eigenvectors with real eigenvalues. For example, for the matrix with eigenvalues i and -i, the corresponding eigenvectors are of the form <i, 1>.
zfolwick
how does one systematically find the eigenvectors of a 2x2 (or higher) Real matrix given complex eigenvalues?

Physics news on Phys.org
The same way you do it when you have real eigenvalues.

For example, the eigenvalues of the matrix
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}0 & -1 \\ 1 & 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
are i and - i.

If < x, y> is an eigenvector corresponding to eigenvalue i then we must have
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}0 & -1 \\ 1 & 0 \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}- y \\ x\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix} ix \\ iy\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

So we must have -y= ix and x= iy. Since 1/i= -i, those are equivalent. Any such eigenvector is of the form < x, y>= <iy, y>= y<i , 1>.

1. What are eigenvectors from complex eigenvalues?

Eigenvectors from complex eigenvalues are vectors that remain in the same direction after being multiplied by a complex number, known as the eigenvalue. They are used to analyze linear transformations and determine the behavior of a system.

2. How are eigenvectors from complex eigenvalues calculated?

Eigenvectors from complex eigenvalues are calculated by solving the characteristic equation of the transformation matrix. This equation involves finding the roots of a polynomial, which gives the complex eigenvalues. The corresponding eigenvectors are then found by solving a system of equations.

3. What is the significance of complex eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

Complex eigenvalues and eigenvectors play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of systems. They can tell us about the stability or instability of a system, as well as its oscillatory and amplification properties. They are also used in many applications, such as signal processing and quantum mechanics.

4. Can eigenvectors from complex eigenvalues be real?

Yes, eigenvectors from complex eigenvalues can be real. An eigenvector is considered to be real if its components are all real numbers, even if the corresponding eigenvalue is complex. In fact, most systems have a mix of real and complex eigenvectors.

5. How do complex eigenvalues and eigenvectors relate to real-world problems?

Complex eigenvalues and eigenvectors are used in a variety of real-world problems, such as analyzing the stability of a bridge or predicting the behavior of a chemical reaction. They are also used in data analysis, such as in image and signal processing, to extract important features and patterns. In essence, they provide a powerful tool for understanding and solving complex systems and problems.