Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Einsteins General Relativity

1. Jun 30, 2011 #1
    Hello,

This question has been bothering me and I haven't been able to get a correct and certain answer. So if somebody could please help me that would be great!!!
    Here is my question:

What is the General Theory Of Relativity??

So if sombody could please explain this to me it would be extremely, greatly appreciated!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2011 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_relativity" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Jun 30, 2011 #3

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you want to learn about GR, please tell us about your background in math and physics so that we can point you at a book that is at the right level for you.

5. Jul 1, 2011 #4
    I will summarize General Relativity in simple words. Basically, it's a theory of gravitation --at the macroscopic level.
    IN GR, gravitation is due to the curvature which matter creates in the field of space-time geometry. The field of space-time geometry is the gravitational field.
    The best book for understand SR and GR is: Albert Einstein, The meanng of Relativity. After that you can read and understand any thing on GR and SR.
    Good luck.

6. Jul 2, 2011 #5
    Thank you so much for these replies it really helped me! I will definately read the book "Albert Einstein, Then Meaning of Relativity".

Thanks.

7. Jul 2, 2011 #6
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  8. Jul 2, 2011 #7
    To Allojubrious -
    Einstein's "The Meaning of Relativity" should help you in knowing how an Einstein thinks.
    All the Best,

9. Jul 2, 2011 #8
    I would like a book recommendation, please!

I have a good understanding of rudimentary single variable calculus and Euclidean geometry in Cartesian coordinates. My goal is to understand GR well enough to do some actual calculations with it and to produce an example of it with only two dimensions: a single spacial dimension and the temporal one...

Thank you!

10. Jul 2, 2011 #9

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

GR actually isn't very interesting in 1+1 dimensions. But anyway, I understand what you mean: you want to do some GR without diving into massive mathematics. If you don't already have a firm knowledge of SR, I'd suggest reading Spacetime Physics by Taylor and Wheeler first. Then you might want to try Exploring Black Holes by Taylor and Wheeler or Gravity by Hartle.

11. Jul 2, 2011 #10
    I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that I do have a firm understanding of SR, so I will look into your latter recommendations. Thank you...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook