Understanding Einstein's General Relativity: A Simplified Approach

In summary, General Relativity is a theory of gravity that is based on the curvature of space-time. It is a relatively complex theory and is not very interesting in 1+1 dimensions. However, it can be used to calculate the effects of gravity on objects in other dimensions.
Allojubrious
Hello,

This question has been bothering me and I haven't been able to get a correct and certain answer. So if somebody could please help me that would be great!
Here is my question:

What is the General Theory Of Relativity??

So if sombody could please explain this to me it would be extremely, greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_relativity"

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to learn about GR, please tell us about your background in math and physics so that we can point you at a book that is at the right level for you.

I will summarize General Relativity in simple words. Basically, it's a theory of gravitation --at the macroscopic level.
IN GR, gravitation is due to the curvature which matter creates in the field of space-time geometry. The field of space-time geometry is the gravitational field.
The best book for understand SR and GR is: Albert Einstein, The meanng of Relativity. After that you can read and understand any thing on GR and SR.
Good luck.

Thank you so much for these replies it really helped me! I will definitely read the book "Albert Einstein, Then Meaning of Relativity".

Thanks.

To Allojubrious -
Einstein's "The Meaning of Relativity" should help you in knowing how an Einstein thinks.
All the

bcrowell said:
If you want to learn about GR, please tell us about your background in math and physics so that we can point you at a book that is at the right level for you.
I would like a book recommendation, please!

I have a good understanding of rudimentary single variable calculus and Euclidean geometry in Cartesian coordinates. My goal is to understand GR well enough to do some actual calculations with it and to produce an example of it with only two dimensions: a single spatial dimension and the temporal one...

Thank you!

Jocko Homo said:
I would like a book recommendation, please!

I have a good understanding of rudimentary single variable calculus and Euclidean geometry in Cartesian coordinates. My goal is to understand GR well enough to do some actual calculations with it and to produce an example of it with only two dimensions: a single spatial dimension and the temporal one...

Thank you!

GR actually isn't very interesting in 1+1 dimensions. But anyway, I understand what you mean: you want to do some GR without diving into massive mathematics. If you don't already have a firm knowledge of SR, I'd suggest reading Spacetime Physics by Taylor and Wheeler first. Then you might want to try Exploring Black Holes by Taylor and Wheeler or Gravity by Hartle.

bcrowell said:
GR actually isn't very interesting in 1+1 dimensions. But anyway, I understand what you mean: you want to do some GR without diving into massive mathematics. If you don't already have a firm knowledge of SR, I'd suggest reading Spacetime Physics by Taylor and Wheeler first. Then you might want to try Exploring Black Holes by Taylor and Wheeler or Gravity by Hartle.
I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that I do have a firm understanding of SR, so I will look into your latter recommendations. Thank you...

1. What is Einstein's General Relativity?

Einstein's General Relativity is a theory of gravity developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It explains how gravity works as a curvature of space and time caused by massive objects, rather than a force between them.

2. How does General Relativity differ from Newton's Theory of Gravity?

Newton's theory describes gravity as a force between two objects, while General Relativity explains gravity as a curvature of space and time. Additionally, General Relativity accounts for the effects of gravity on massive objects moving at high speeds or in strong gravitational fields, while Newton's theory does not.

3. Can you provide an example of General Relativity in action?

One of the most famous examples is the prediction and observation of the bending of light by massive objects, known as gravitational lensing. This phenomenon was confirmed during a solar eclipse in 1919, providing evidence for General Relativity.

4. What are the implications of General Relativity?

General Relativity has numerous implications in physics, including the prediction of black holes, the expansion of the universe, and the existence of gravitational waves. It also has practical applications in fields such as GPS technology and space travel.

5. Is General Relativity still considered a valid theory today?

Yes, General Relativity is still widely accepted and considered a valid theory in modern physics. It has been extensively tested and continues to accurately predict and explain a wide range of physical phenomena. However, it is not a complete theory and is currently being explored and tested in various ways to better understand the universe and its workings.