How Do Charges Behave at the Corners of a Square?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the magnitude of the net electrostatic force experienced by any charge in a system of four charges fixed to the corners of a square. The net force is directed towards the center of the square and can be calculated by using the equation for the force between two point charges and taking into account any symmetry in the problem. The answer should be in units of N and not mN. Additionally, it is important to note the difference between millicoulombs and microcoulombs when working with charge.
michaelw
There are four charges, each with a magnitude of 2.0 mC. Two are positive and two are negative. The charges are fixed to the corners of a 0.30-m square, one to a corner, in such a way that the net force on any charge is directed toward the center of the square. Find the magnitude of the net electrostatic force experienced by any charge.

any idea how to go about this?

Id assume it would be alternate positive/negative charges around the square.. but then what do i do?

Physics news on Phys.org
errr...0? I think regardless of how you set them up that'd happen, but I'll check mathmatically

Well, it'd be zero in the middle of the square, or something like that

Last edited:
hint: try to figure out where the charges are located on the square.
There are only two possibilities, either both the positives will be on the same side, or they will be across from each other (along the diagonal ).

keep in mind that the net force is directed at the center, like charges repel - opposites attract, and the force between two point charges acts along the line between them

im pretty sure that it would be

- +

+ -

but i don't know where to go from here :/

What is the equation for the force between two point charges?
These forces obey the principal of superposition, so to get the net force on a point charge, you just need to find the force from each of the other three charges and add them (keep in mind their vectors so you have to add corresponding components )

Make use of any symmetry in the problem (do any of the components cancel? )

Last edited:
I got 0.366N.. is this correct?

(F on each charge at x and y component is k2q/0.3^2 - sin45(k2q/0.424^2))

I can't tell exactly what you did from your equations, but your answer is off by a factor of 10^6... did you use millicoulombs (10^-3 C )...

in case you didnt know... mC = 10^-3 C which is pronounced millicoulombs

[itex] \mu C[/itex] = 10^-6 C and is pronounced microcoulombs

MathStudent said:
I can't tell exactly what you did from your equations, but your answer is off by a factor of 10^6... did you use millicoulombs (10^-3 C )...

in case you didnt know... mC = 10^-3 C which is pronounced millicoulombs

[itex] \mu C[/itex] = 10^-6 C and is pronounced microcoulombs
yes i figured that out

if you copy [itex] \mu C[/itex] from a site, and paste it in here, the mu changes to an m.. (for some reason)

1. What is an electrostatic force?

An electrostatic force is a type of force that occurs between two charged particles or objects. It is the force that causes objects to either attract or repel each other based on their electric charges.

2. How does an electrostatic force differ from other types of forces?

An electrostatic force is a long-range force that can act over large distances, whereas other types of forces, such as gravitational or nuclear forces, have a limited range. Additionally, electrostatic forces can be either attractive or repulsive, while other forces are only attractive.

3. What are the factors that affect the strength of an electrostatic force?

The strength of an electrostatic force depends on the magnitude of the charges involved and the distance between them. The force increases as the magnitude of the charges increases and decreases as the distance between the charges increases.

4. How is an electrostatic force measured?

An electrostatic force is measured in units of newtons (N) using Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

5. How can electrostatic forces be useful in everyday life?

Electrostatic forces play a crucial role in many technological devices, such as generators, motors, and batteries. They also play a vital role in the functioning of our nervous system and the transport of nutrients within our bodies. Additionally, electrostatic forces are used in industries such as painting, printing, and air purification.