Electric current function of time

In summary, the current function is i=20sin(377t) and the charge that passed in the time interval 0-1/120 sec is q=79.6*10-6 Coulomb. The equation used is q=integral of i dt from 0 to t, and the final answer is obtained by substituting the limits of integration. It is important to not substitute numbers in prior to the final step and to avoid using a calculator for exact values.
Karol

Homework Statement

##i=20\sin(377t)## is the current function. in the time interval 0-1/120 sec what is the charge that passed

Homework Equations

$$q=\int_0^t i dt$$

The Attempt at a Solution

$$q=\int_0^{1/120} 20\sin(377t) dt=\frac{20}{377}\int_0^{3.14} \sin x dx$$
$$q=-\frac{20}{377}\cos x|_0^{3.14}=-\frac{20}{377}(-0.0015)=79.6\cdot10^{-6}[Coulomb]$$
It should be q=0.106

Physics news on Phys.org
Karol said:
cosx| 3.14 0
Okay.
Karol said:
(−0.0015)=
Huh?

One word is enough, thanks

Karol said:
One word is enough, thanks
Maybe, but I'll add few anyway.
It's not a good idea to substitute numbers in prior to the final step, particularly if they're only approximations.
##\cos(\pi)## is exactly -1, and you should not be using a calculator for that.

C

Based on the given current function and the time interval, the charge that has passed can be calculated using the equation q = ∫_0^t i dt. The integral of the current function from 0 to 1/120 seconds is equal to the charge that has passed in that time interval. Using the given values, the equation becomes q = ∫_0^1/120 20sin(377t) dt. Solving this integral, we get q = -20/377cos(377t)|_0^1/120. Plugging in the limits of integration, we get q = -20/377(cos(377/120)-cos(0)). Simplifying, we get q = -20/377(cos(3.14)-1). This gives us q = 20/377(1-cos(3.14)) = 20/377(1+0.0015) = 20/377(1.0015) = 0.053 C. Therefore, the charge that has passed in the time interval 0-1/120 seconds is 0.053 C.

Related to Electric current function of time

1. What is electric current?

Electric current refers to the flow of electric charge through a medium, such as a wire. It is measured in amperes (A) and is caused by the movement of electrons.

2. How is electric current related to time?

Electric current can vary over time, and this is known as the electric current function of time. It describes how the electric current changes over a specific period, which can be measured in seconds, minutes, or any other unit of time.

3. What factors affect the electric current function of time?

The electric current function of time can be affected by various factors, including the voltage applied to the circuit, the resistance of the circuit, and the type of material the current is flowing through.

4. How is the electric current function of time represented graphically?

The electric current function of time is typically represented on a graph with time on the x-axis and electric current on the y-axis. This allows for a visual representation of how the current changes over time.

5. Why is understanding the electric current function of time important?

Understanding the electric current function of time is crucial in designing and analyzing electrical circuits. It allows scientists and engineers to predict and control the behavior of electric current, ensuring the safe and efficient use of electricity.