Electric Dipole Moments: Sun, Earth, Planets, Minor Planets, Moons

In summary, the conversation is about the existence of a table of Electric Dipole Moments, ##\bar p##, for the Sun, Earth, Planets, Minor Planets, and Moons. The table provided in the conversation is not a reliable scientific reference, as it appears to be from a Creationist site. The validity and accuracy of the numbers in the table are questioned, and the conversation ends with a request for proper references.
Philosophaie
Is there a table of Electric Dipole Moments, ##\bar p##, for the Sun, Earth, Planets, Minor Planets and Moons?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Philosophaie said:
Is there a table of Electric Dipole Moments, ##\bar p##, for the Sun, Earth, Planets, Minor Planets and Moons?
Hi there
you have marked your thread with an "I" tag signifying that you are a university undergrad.
So what research have you done so far into this ?
Is there anything specific that you found that you didn't understand and need clarification for ?cheers
Dave

The planets, sun,moons,etc act like a dipole for their electromagnetic systems except for the solar wind ejected from the sun or star. The Magnetic Dipole Moment is given from the Table:
No. Body Magnetic Moment at Creation (J/T) Present Magnetic Moment (J/T)
1 Sun 4.65E+29 3.50E+29
2 Mercury 7.50E+22 3.80E+19
3 Venus 1.15E+24 8.00E+17
4 Earth 1.41E+24 7.98E+22
5 Moon 1.73E+22 1.30E+15
6 Mars 1.51E+23 2.10E+18
7 Jupiter 1.79E+27 1.55E+27
8 Saturn 1.34E+26 4.60E+25
9 Uranus 2.05E+25 3.00E+24
10 Neptune 2.42E+25 1.50E+24
11 Pluto 2.60E+24

I am looking for a similar one for the Electric Dipole Moment.

Why wouldn't the charge imbalance simply neutralize? And where did this table come from?

The Electric is separate from the Magnetic. They do not neutralize. They are similar due to the ##\bar r##. The Magnetic has the ##\bar m## and the Electric has ##\bar p##.

Here's what I think - I think you got that table from a Creationist site, and that's why you are spouting non-sequiturs. "They do not neutralize" indeed. That's nonsense.

They neutralize as r increases to large levels. With r near to the dipole it definitely has appreciable Electric and Magnetic Fields.

If you have a large charge imbalance on a planet-sized object, it neutralizes. Whether you think it does or not. And the fact that you still refuse to say where you got your table from merely reinforces my conclusion that you got it from a creationist site.

No disrespect but what about a compass that magnetically faces North. The Electric Field and charge imbalance may be neutralized by the soil and core of the Earth but is it also neutralized in the atmosphere? Jupiter has a large Electric Field because it is mostly a Gas giant.

Please post the references that V50 has asked for or this thread will be deleted...

Likes Vanadium 50 and berkeman
Philosophaie said:
I could not find the link to the Creationist (Which I am Not) site

It doesn't matter if you are or not. If it is, as you say, a Creationist site, it's unscientific hogwash. And you should have come right out and admitted it rather than string us all along on false pretenses.

davenn said:
that's just a table of numbers

And it doesn't contain the dodgiest numbers, the moments "at Creation".

Thread closed for Moderation. Que the theme music from the movie "Jaws"...

Likes davenn
Thread closed. Substandard references.

davenn said:
@berkeman ... this thread still isn't going anywhere useful
I share this opinion.
berkeman said:
Please post the references that V50 has asked for or this thread will be deleted...
In case there is a scientific source of your figures, please PM me so.

1. What is an electric dipole moment?

An electric dipole moment is a measure of the separation between positive and negative charges within an object. It is a vector quantity that describes the magnitude and direction of the electric dipole.

2. How is the electric dipole moment of the Sun measured?

The electric dipole moment of the Sun is measured by observing the magnetic field generated by the Sun's rotation. The stronger the dipole component of the magnetic field, the larger the electric dipole moment.

3. What is the significance of the electric dipole moment of the Earth?

The electric dipole moment of the Earth is important for understanding the Earth's magnetic field and its interactions with the solar wind. It also plays a role in the Earth's atmosphere and its effects on climate.

4. How do electric dipole moments vary among the planets in our solar system?

The electric dipole moments of the planets vary depending on their size, composition, and distance from the Sun. Generally, larger planets with stronger magnetic fields tend to have larger electric dipole moments.

5. Do minor planets and moons have electric dipole moments?

Yes, minor planets and moons can have electric dipole moments, although they may be smaller than those of larger planets. The electric dipole moments of minor planets and moons can also vary depending on their composition and distance from the Sun.