1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric dipole's maximum angular velocity

1. Feb 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider an electric dipole located in a region with an electric field of magnitude [tex]\vec{E}[/tex] pointing in the positive y direction. The positive and negative ends of the dipole have charges +q and -q, respectively, and the two charges are a distance D apart. The dipole has moment of inertia I about its center of mass. The dipole is released from angle [tex]\theta[/tex], and it is allowed to rotate freely.

What is [tex]\omega_{max}[/tex], the magnitude of the dipole's angular velocity when it is pointing along the y axis?

2. Relevant equations

dipole moment p= qd

[tex]\vec{\tau}[/tex]=[tex]\vec{p}[/tex]X[tex]\vec{E}[/tex]

U= -[tex]\vec{p}[/tex] [tex]\cdot[/tex][tex]\vec{E}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I attempted to use energy, but I am not sure how to do it correctly - does potential energy equal kinetic? is the potential energy the one described in the above equation?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2008 #2

mjsd

Homework Helper

dipole in a E field gives torque, torque is a force and can then be related to moment of inertia and angular acceleration

4. Feb 18, 2008 #3

clem

Science Advisor

You can use your expression for U and (1/2)I\omega^2 for the KE.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?