1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric energy of a dielectric sphere

1. Aug 29, 2005 #1
    Electric energy of a dielectric sphere!!

Hi there, I have attempted a question, I was just seeing if some one can go over it and check if it is ok!!

Q. The Electric field E inside a dielectric sphere placed between the plates of a large parallel-plate capacitor is uniform. Given that the sphere has a relative dielectric constant "epsilon(r)" and radius r, find an expression for the total electric energy of the sphere.

My working out is as attached to this message:

If there is more that can be done then can you help aswell!!!

Thanks alot

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2005 #2

lightgrav

Homework Helper

It looks like you've answered the question as if the charge on the plates is known. I would have presumed, from the wording of the question, that the Electric Field is known. This would make the Electric field energy within the sphere obvious (epsilon E^2 Volume), but the total Electric (potential) Energy *of* the sphere would not be trivial to calculate. In my view, the surface charges are what actually belong to the sphere; the external E-field belongs more to the environment than to the sphere.
    I would've found the surface charge density first, then the Electric PE due to that surface charge density by surface integration. That way you end up *showing* the utility of the new Energy density approach (which I suppose is the "new topic").
    of course, I've been known to misinterpret questions before ... .

4. Aug 30, 2005 #3
    I don't fully understand, do i have to use maxwells equations to find the charge density, and if so how does this apply to a dielectric between 2 capacitor plates. I thought that the E field would be E(0)/EPSILON(r) where E(0) is the Electric field of the capacitors without the dielectric.

using DIV(E)=Charge desnsity/epsilon(0) I think I'm right in saying this is one of maxwells equations.

Hope you can help clarify this for me. Thanks alot for you help

hhh79bigo

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?