Electric field and electron acceleration

In summary, the question involves finding the magnitude and direction of acceleration of an electron at a point with an electric field of 6900 N/C directed due north. Using the equation F=qE and F=ma, the acceleration can be calculated as -eE/m in the south direction. The conversation then transitions to another question about the electric field being equal to zero on the x-axis between two point charges. The formula E=k[q]/r^2 can be used, taking into account the x-values to determine the distance between the charges. It is noted that electric fields are vectors and for the field to cancel at a point, the field due to one charge should cancel out the field due to the other. By setting the electric fields
kong12
What are the magnitude and direction of the acceleration of an electron at a point where the electric field has magnitude 6900 N/C and is directed due north?

Physics news on Phys.org
label the north direction as [tex]\hat{y}[/tex] so [tex]\vec{E}=E \hat{y} [/tex]. The "electric force" equals the charge times the electric field. that is,

[tex]m \vec{a} = -eE \hat{y} [/tex]

[tex] \vec{a} = \frac{-eE}{m} \hat{y} [/tex]

where e is the charge of the electron and m is its mass.

that would then make the direction south? i found my answer by using F=qE and the F=ma. and i have another question...
Two point charges, q1 = +20.0 nC and q2 = +11.0 nC, are located on the x-axis at x = 0 and x = 1.00 m, respectively. Where on the x-axis is the electric field equal to zero? i wanted to use the equation E=k[q]/r^2 but I'm confused as to what to do with the x=0 and x=1

You can use the x values to determine the distance (r) between the two charges.

i am not sure how to encorporate the the one formula with the various values

Note that electric fields are vectors. For the field to cancel at a point, the field due to A should cancel out the field due to B. Where do you think that could happen (between A and B / left of A / right of B)? Once you figure that out, take a point 'x', and find out x for Eax = Ebx.

Related to Electric field and electron acceleration

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the force exerted on a charged particle by other charged particles in its vicinity. It is a vector field, meaning that it has both magnitude and direction, and is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m).

2. How is an electric field created?

An electric field is created when there is a difference in electric potential between two points. This can be achieved by having a separation of positive and negative charges, or by applying a voltage difference across a conductive material.

3. What is the relationship between electric field and electron acceleration?

The strength of the electric field determines the acceleration of an electron. A stronger electric field will result in a greater force on the electron, causing it to accelerate at a higher rate. This can be described by the equation F = qE, where F is the force, q is the charge of the electron, and E is the electric field strength.

4. How do electric fields affect the motion of charged particles?

Charged particles in an electric field will experience a force and either be repelled or attracted depending on their charge. This force can cause the particles to accelerate or change direction of motion. In a uniform electric field, the particles will follow a curved path due to the constant force acting on them.

5. What are the practical applications of electric fields and electron acceleration?

Electric fields and electron acceleration have many practical applications, such as in electronic devices like TVs and computers, where electrons are accelerated to create images on screens. They are also used in particle accelerators for research in physics and medicine, and in electrostatic precipitators to remove pollutants from industrial gases. Additionally, electric fields play a crucial role in the functioning of nerves and muscles in living organisms.