Electric Field and Infinite Plane

In summary, the student attempted to solve for the electric field around a point charge using the formula E=6779.66N/C. They determined the force (which was zero) and the tension using the equation T_{x}=T\sin{\theta}T_{y}=T\cos{\theta}.
verd
Hi,

I've worked out a problem and don't understand why it's wrong... I think I might be going about this incorrectly.

Here it is:

http://www.synthdriven.com/images/deletable/01.jpg

I started this by attempting to solve for E. In the beginning of the problem, I'm told that this is an infinite plate, "a uniformly charged vertical sheet of infinite extent", and have determined the following formula:

[tex]\vec{E}=\frac{\sigma}{2\epsilon_{o}}[/tex]
(This is what was derived in class for an infinite surface, I can go over that if anyone would like... sigma=Q/A)

I'm taking the "areal charge density" to be sigma.[tex]\vec{E}=\frac{\sigma}{2\epsilon_{o}}=\frac{0.12\times10^{-6}}{2(8.85\times10^{-12})}=6779.66N/C[/tex]

Using the following formula, I determined the force, (where q is my given point charge):

[tex]F=E\timesq=(6779.66)(0.11\times10^{-6})=0.000746N[/tex]

http://www.synthdriven.com/images/deletable/02.jpg

According to my little force diagram, this F is equivalent to my x-component of the force labelled F. And the y-component of this force is zero...

The next force is the weight, mg. I wasn't sure whether or not to do this in grams or kilograms, so I kept it at grams (my professor converted from kg to g in a previous example in class... even though some problems are typically answered in kg)

[tex]W=mg=(1g)(9.8m/s^2)=9.8N[/tex]

This force will be only in the -y direction, obviously.

And the tension, T is as follows:

[tex]T_{x}=T\sin{\theta}[/tex]
[tex]T_{y}=T\cos{\theta}[/tex]

[tex]\sum{F_{NETx}}=F_{x}+W_{x}-T_{x}=0.00076N+0N-T\sin{\theta}=0[/tex]
[tex]T\sin{\theta}=0.00076N[/tex]
[tex]T=\frac{0.00076N}{\sin{\theta}}[/tex]

[tex]\sum{F_{NETy}}=F_{y}-W_{y}+T_{y}=0-9.8N+T\cos{\theta}=0[/tex]
[tex]T\cos{\theta}=9.8N[/tex]
[tex]T=\frac{9.8N}{\cos{\theta}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{0.00076N}{\sin{\theta}}=\frac{9.8N}{\cos{\theta}}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\sin{\theta}}{\cos{\theta}}=\frac{0.00076}{9.8}[/tex]
[tex]\tan{\theta}=\frac{0.00076}{9.8}[/tex]
[tex]\arctan{\frac{0.00076}{9.8}}=\theta[/tex]
[tex]=0.004443[/tex] degreesWhat am I doing wrong? This seemed like the right way to go about it...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your units have to be consistent. Since you are using S.I., the unit of mass is Kg, and therefore the mass of the object is 10-3Kg.

Remember this, the S.I units are also known as the MKS system (Metre, Kilogram, Second). The cgs stands for (Centimetre, Gram, Second).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mks

Thanks.

That'd make my answer 4.3447 degrees... And yet my answer is still incorrect... Any ideas?

I cannot spot anything wrong in your calculation. I wonder why the length of the string has been provided (probably just to make you go off-track).

Yeah... That's what I was thinking. But who knows. I could actually have to use it somehow.

Seems like a way to make you waste your time realizing that you don't have enough information to find the angle trigometrically w/out physics.

Yes, I got the same answer too. What's the answer in your textbook ?

It's an online homework service. I have a couple of chances at an answer... So I don't know what the answer is.

Well, was any option close to the answer at least ?

Nope. I have no idea what it is. This method seems correct.

May be (some of) the numbers you have are wrong. For example, that 0.00076 should be 0.000745/6. Just make sure that the numbers are correct to a few decimal places and submit an answer. Either that, or the online service has totally gone berserk. ;)

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds an electrically charged particle or object. It is defined as the force per unit charge experienced by a test charge placed in the field. The direction of the electric field is defined as the direction that a positive test charge would move if placed in the field.

How is an electric field created?

An electric field is created by the presence of an electric charge. Any charged object creates an electric field in the space around it. The strength of the electric field depends on the magnitude of the charge and the distance from the charged object.

What is an infinite plane in relation to electric fields?

An infinite plane is a theoretical concept used in physics to describe a surface that extends infinitely in all directions. In the context of electric fields, an infinite plane is often used as a simplified model to study the behavior of electric fields and charged particles.

How does an electric field interact with an infinite plane?

An electric field interacts with an infinite plane by exerting a force on any charged particle placed in its vicinity. The strength and direction of the force depend on the charge of the particle and its distance from the plane.

What are some applications of studying electric fields and infinite planes?

The study of electric fields and infinite planes has many practical applications, such as designing and optimizing electronic devices, understanding the behavior of charged particles in a vacuum, and predicting the behavior of charged particles in plasma and other high-energy environments.