1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field direction and permittivity

1. Apr 24, 2013 #1
    The electric field direction can be measured by the force affected on a test charge.

Let's put a point-like charge not far from a material, that is polarized by it.
    See the figure:
    permittivity1.png
    The test force on the test charge A points exactly to the charge.

I think that because the surface is full of polarized particles in one direction, the test charge next to the surface (C) will behave differently, the force on it will points more perpendicular to the surface.

And also the inner test charges (like B) will be under the effect of the neighbour particles, so the direction of the force will point a little towards the surface.

Is this effect possible? Can the permittivity affect to the direction of the force?

Thank you for your toughts.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

There should be a slight deviation due to the material below it.
    Yes it can.

4. Apr 24, 2013 #3
    Is it calculatable somehow? For example like the Snell's law?

5. Apr 24, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

With the boundary conditions for electromagnetic fields - the parallel component of E and the perpendicular component of D are continuous, the field inside the material and outside are divergence-free, and D and E are proportional to each other* with some material constants.

For the surface, this should give something similar to Snell's law I think.

*there are materials where this is not true. It does not change the basic concept, however.

6. Apr 24, 2013 #5
    Am I understand it well that inside the material the force on the test charge points (in avarage) exactly to the main point-charge?

7. Apr 24, 2013 #6

mfb

2016 Award

No, the direction there will be changed by the material, too.

8. Apr 25, 2013 #7
    I googled the net, but I have not found relevant information about this. Please if anyone have a link about the calculation of how the force direction change inside the material, share this info, I'd be happy.
    Thank you in advance!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook