Electric field due to a charged particle at a random point in space

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Lukasz
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Can we calculate the electric field at any given point in space even if there are no charged particles there? The equation for electric field given in a standard EM course is kqq0/q0r^2 where q0 is a test charged impacted by the electric field. How about just any point in space?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Lukasz said:
The equation for electric field given in a standard EM course is kqq0/q0r^2 where q0 is a test charged impacted by the electric field.

No, that's the equation for the electric force acting on q0.

The electric field produced by the source charge q, at the location of q0, is E = kq/r2, regardless of whether q0 is actually at that location or not.

When you put q0 at that location, it experiences a force F = q0E.
 
I think I posted an equation for an electric field as I included q0 in both nominator and denominator, and thanks for explaining, I thought so.
 
Oops, I saw the q0 in the numerator but missed the one in the denominator. :blushing: