1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field due to a charged particle at a random point in space

1. May 8, 2014 #1
    Can we calculate the electric field at any given point in space even if there are no charged particles there? The equation for electric field given in a standard EM course is kqq0/q0r^2 where q0 is a test charged impacted by the electric field. How about just any point in space?

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2014 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

No, that's the equation for the electric force acting on q0.

The electric field produced by the source charge q, at the location of q0, is E = kq/r2, regardless of whether q0 is actually at that location or not.

When you put q0 at that location, it experiences a force F = q0E.

4. May 8, 2014 #3
    I think I posted an equation for an electric field as I included q0 in both nominator and denominator, and thanks for explaining, I thought so.

5. May 8, 2014 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Oops, I saw the q0 in the numerator but missed the one in the denominator. :blushing:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook