1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field due to a nonconducting sphere

1. Feb 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A spherical nonconducting surface of radius R is uniformly charged in its surface with net charge +Q. Calculate the electric field at a point P which is located at a distance R from the right border of the sphere. Calculate the electric field at a point R/2 at each side of the center of the sphere.

2. Relevant equations
    I came up with this.
    Let p=Q/V
    dq = pdV
    V = f(x,y,z) = x^2 + y^2 + z^2 - R = 0
    ∂V = 2y∂y
    and Ep = ke2R-R dq/y^2 r

3. The attempt at a solution
    After integration, Ep = 2keQ(ln2)/R r

My question is, am I applying the concept of electric field due to a charge distribution in the correct way? I think I might have got it wrong with the dV component... Also, since the topic is Gauss Law, how am I supposed to use the concept of a gaussian surface to calculate electric field?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2012 #2
    My other attempt would be to construct a gaussian surface enclosing this sphere and express the electric field at p as Q/epsilon*(4*pi*R^2) which would come to kQ/R^2 (same as if i had taken it to be a point charge). THIS... IS... CONFUSING!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook