Electric Field Due to Point Charges?

In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving an electric quadrupole and using the binomial expansion to find an approximate expression for the electric field. The person asking for help has tried different approaches and is confused about how to solve the problem. They are looking for input and clarification on their approach.
ylem
Hello!

Just hoping for a bit of help on a homework problem I'm doing at the moment...

Basically this is the question:

Three point charges are placed along the y axis: a charge q at y=a, a charge -2q at the origin and a charge q at q=-a. Such an arrangement is called an electric quadrupole.
a. Find the magnitude and direction of the electric quadrupole at points along the positive x-axis.
b. Use the binomial expansion to find an approximate expression for the electric field valid for x>>a. Contrast this behaviour to that of the electric field of a dipole.

I've tried to do this loads of different ways...

I've basically used E = 1/4pi...q/r^2 (didn't know how do get a symbol for the permittivity of free space!) and then for the vector have put (xi - aj) for q at a and so on... But then when I add them up to come up with a total E I just get something that looks really messy - although it is to the power of a half and could be expanded using the binomial, it just looks wrong...

Any input on how I could try to solve the question would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Sam(antha)

Physics news on Phys.org
ylem said:
Hello!
Just hoping for a bit of help on a homework problem I'm doing at the moment...
Basically this is the question:
Three point charges are placed along the y axis: a charge q at y=a, a charge -2q at the origin and a charge q at q=-a. Such an arrangement is called an electric quadrupole.
a. Find the magnitude and direction of the electric quadrupole at points along the positive x-axis.
b. Use the binomial expansion to find an approximate expression for the electric field valid for x>>a. Contrast this behaviour to that of the electric field of a dipole.

I've tried to do this loads of different ways...
I've basically used E = 1/4pi...q/r^2 (didn't know how do get a symbol for the permittivity of free space!) and then for the vector have put (xi - aj) for q at a and so on... But then when I add them up to come up with a total E I just get something that looks really messy - although it is to the power of a half and could be expanded using the binomial, it just looks wrong...
Any input on how I could try to solve the question would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Sam(antha)

What you did seems to be right. Just find the vector sum of the Electric field due to the three charges. The y-component of the field due to the charge at y=a and y=-a should cancel. So along the x-axis, your net Field should also point along the x direction.
If you post and show exactly where you are having difficulties (ie, which equations) it will be easier to help.

Last edited:
Thanks!

This is where I'm getting confused though, because if the y components cancel then when I find the magnitude of the field I will just be squaring the x components, so I won't have anything to the power of a half to expand using the Binomial? :confused:

You will have a power of 3/2. When you take the x-component due to the 2 charges at y=a and y=-a, the field will be
[tex] \frac{q \cos\theta }{4 \pi \epsilon (a^2 + x^2)} [/tex]
So find [tex] \cos \theta [/tex] and substiute to find the Field.
So you will be able to use your approximation when x>>a

Last edited:

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is the force per unit charge experienced by a test charge placed in the vicinity of an electric charge. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is the electric field due to a point charge calculated?

The electric field due to a point charge is calculated using the equation E = kq/r², where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant (9x10^9 Nm²/C²), q is the magnitude of the point charge, and r is the distance from the point charge.

3. What is the direction of the electric field due to a positive point charge?

The electric field due to a positive point charge points away from the charge, in the direction of the force that would be experienced by a positive test charge placed in the field.

4. How does the electric field due to a point charge change with distance?

The electric field due to a point charge decreases with distance according to the inverse square law. This means that as the distance from the point charge increases, the electric field decreases in proportion to the square of the distance.

5. What is the superposition principle in relation to electric fields?

The superposition principle states that the total electric field at a point in space is the vector sum of the electric fields due to each individual charge. This principle is used to calculate the electric field due to multiple point charges.