Electric Field in a Capacitor

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Gauss' Law in calculating electric fields in capacitors. It is mentioned that the Gaussian surface is chosen to enclose only the positive plate, but this takes into account the presence of the negative plate and its effect on amplifying the field between the two plates. The speaker also mentions the use of Gauss' Law for parallel plates and the approximation made in neglecting the nonuniform field at the ends of the plate.
kash25
Hi,
I have a problem with electric fields in capacitors. Using Gauss' Law, we always choose the Gaussian surface that encloses the positive plate in the capacitor. When we go through field calculations, we get an equation for the electric field and we use that to find voltage, capacitance, and everything else. What I don't understand is how enclosing ONLY the positive plate takes into account the fact that the negative plate is present and that it amplifies the field between the two. In other words, how would our calculations or conclusions be any different if the negative plate were not even present?
Thank you very much for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi kash25,

I don't think that's correct. For example, for parallel plates we might use Gauss's law to find the electric field of just the postive plate (giving a result of [itex]E = \sigma/(2\epsilon_0)[/itex] everywhere), but then we would double that to find the electric field of the capacitor between the plates ([itex]E=\sigma/\epsilon_0[/itex]) and set the field to be zero outside the plates.

(Between the plates, the fields are in the same direction and so add; outside the plates they are in opposite directions and therefore cancel; also I'm making the usual approximation that the nonuniform field at the ends of the plate can be neglected, etc.)

!

I understand your confusion and I am happy to provide some clarification on the concept of electric fields in capacitors. First, it is important to understand that a capacitor is made up of two conductive plates separated by a dielectric material. When a voltage is applied, one plate becomes positively charged and the other negatively charged. This creates an electric field between the plates.

Now, when we use Gauss' Law to calculate the electric field, we are considering the overall effect of the charges on both plates. By choosing a Gaussian surface that only encloses the positive plate, we are essentially considering the electric field caused by the positive charge alone. However, this does not mean that the negative plate is not taken into account.

In fact, the presence of the negative plate is crucial in determining the capacitance of the capacitor. The electric field between the plates is amplified due to the presence of the negative charge, leading to a higher capacitance value. If the negative plate were not present, the electric field would be weaker and the capacitance would be lower.

In conclusion, by choosing a Gaussian surface that encloses only the positive plate, we are able to simplify the calculations and still take into account the presence of the negative plate. This approach is widely used and has been validated through experimental observations. I hope this helps clarify your understanding of electric fields in capacitors.

1. What is an electric field in a capacitor?

The electric field in a capacitor is the force per unit charge that exists between the two plates of the capacitor. It is created by the buildup of opposite charges on the plates, with one plate having a positive charge and the other having a negative charge.

2. How is the electric field in a capacitor calculated?

The electric field in a capacitor can be calculated by dividing the voltage across the capacitor by the distance between the plates. It can also be calculated by dividing the charge on one plate by the area of the plates.

3. What is the direction of the electric field in a capacitor?

The electric field in a capacitor always points from the positive plate to the negative plate. This is because positive charges repel each other and negative charges repel each other, causing them to accumulate on opposite plates.

4. How does the electric field change when a dielectric material is inserted between the plates of a capacitor?

When a dielectric material is inserted between the plates of a capacitor, the electric field decreases in strength. This is because the dielectric material reduces the overall electric field by polarizing and aligning its molecules in the presence of an external electric field.

5. Can the electric field in a capacitor be uniform?

Yes, the electric field in a capacitor can be made uniform by using parallel plates with equal and opposite charges and by keeping the distance between the plates constant. In this case, the electric field is the same at all points between the plates, and the equipotential lines are evenly spaced.