What Determines Surface Charge Density Inside a Cavity: A or B?

In summary, the surface charge density at the center of the cavity (position B) will be more than at the outer surface (position A).
i_island0
The figure shows a cuboidal shaped conductor inside which there is an ellipsoidal cavity. The center of the cavity is at the center of the cuboid.

Link to figure: http://www.picscrazy.com/view/1qtB9

A charge qo is kept at the center of the cavity. I am showing two positions 'A' and 'B'. MY question is in which location, among 'A' and 'B', (on the inner surface of cavity) the surface charge density will be more. At 'A' or at 'B'.

I have two arguments to present:
(i) The system will try to minimize its energy - so, in that case the surface charge density at B will be less than surface charge density at A. Or to say in other words, since the radius of curvature at B is more, so the charge at B will be less. A is sharper than B so charge density at A will be more.
(ii) now charge qo is closer to B than A. So shouldn't i conclude that charge density at B will be more than charge density at A. Since charge qo is closer to B, so electric field lines will be more dense near B, so the charge density at B will be more.

I m not sure which of the arguments is correct. And why? can anyone help me in this. ??

Physics news on Phys.org
B has the higher surface charge density.
Your argument (i) is wrong because the curvature wrt the conductor is actually negative for this geometry.
For a charge outside a conducting ellipsoid, the SCD would be greater at the end.

(ii) is correct. More rigorously, the conductor will be at a constant potential, and so the line integrals of the electric field from q0 to B and from q0 to A must be the same. Therefore, the magnitude of the field at B must be higher than A.

wow, sometimes the explanations are so simple, but yet so tough to think
thanx to both of you

What is an electric field inside a cavity?

An electric field inside a cavity refers to the presence of an electric field within a hollow space or cavity. This can occur in various situations, such as when a charged object is placed inside a hollow conducting sphere or when an electric field is created between two parallel plates with a cavity in between.

How is the electric field inside a cavity calculated?

The electric field inside a cavity can be calculated using Gauss's Law, which states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the enclosed charge divided by the permittivity of the medium. In the case of a cavity, the enclosed charge is equal to the charge located inside the cavity.

What factors affect the strength of the electric field inside a cavity?

The strength of the electric field inside a cavity is affected by the magnitude and distribution of the charge inside the cavity, as well as the shape and size of the cavity. Additionally, the presence of other nearby charges or conductors can also influence the electric field inside the cavity.

Can the electric field inside a cavity be zero?

Yes, the electric field inside a cavity can be zero if the cavity is completely enclosed and there is no charge located inside it. This is because the electric flux through a closed surface with no enclosed charge is zero, according to Gauss's Law.

What is the significance of the electric field inside a cavity?

The electric field inside a cavity has practical applications in various fields, such as in electrical engineering and physics. It can be used to understand and predict the behavior of charged particles inside the cavity, and it also plays a role in the formation of electric fields in larger systems.