Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field lines from a moving charged particle

1. Sep 12, 2015 #1
    The electric field emanating from charged particle travels at the speed of light; fine. To pose an unrealistic thought experiment (a more realistic, if more complicated, thought experiment could replace this one, but the unrealistic one gives the idea), if a proton were to suddenly pop into existence at a certain time T in a vacuum, and a stationary electron were situated 300,000 km away (and nothing else in the vicinity), then after one second, at time T+1 (ignoring the difficulty in synchronizing watches ), the electron would start to move towards the proton (and vice-versa, of course) in a straight line between the electron and proton. So far, so classic. However, if that proton is moving, would the electron at the moment T+1
    (a) start to move toward the position the proton was at time T, or
    (b) with a sort of quantum-eraser retroactive effect move toward the position the proton would be at time T+1?
    (ignoring the effect of any magnetic field created by the moving proton)
    Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The appearing proton violates the laws of electrodynamics (charge conservation). It does not make sense to ask what physical laws predict in a situation where the laws are violated.

"Where the proton was one second ago" is a better description, but it is not always exact.

4. Sep 12, 2015 #3
    Thanks for the reply, mfb.
    This is why I inserted the caveat that one could certainly make up a Gedankenexperiment which did not violate the laws of physics but which got the idea across. My experiment was in the spirit of 3:40-5:20 of Greene's . I could have perhaps better simply asked the question without thought experiment in this way: "assuming it makes sense to talk about the velocity and straight-line path of the carriers of the electric field, then it makes sense to ask about that path as a straight line between two space-time points. Are these points separated in time as would be expected in a classical theory, or not?"
    I presume that is the answer to my question, despite its impossibility. I also presume that the lack of exactitude you refer to is due to relativistic considerations, not to mention the magnetic field. Any further corrections will be appreciated.
    Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook