1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field near metal plate

1. Jan 26, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An infinite, thin, uniformly charged rod (line charge density lambda) is placed parallel to a metal plate a distance d above it. Calculate the E-field close to the surface of the plate as a function of perpendicular distance to the rod.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I calculated that at a perpendicular distance d away, the E-field of an infinite rod would be (lambda)/(2*pi*epsilon*d). I also realise that the method of images needs to be applied in this case in order calculate the charge induced onto the plate, and that would require me to consider an identical infinite rod at -d from the plate, with a line charge density of -lambda. However, I do not know how to proceed from here, as calculating the total potential keeps giving me 0.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2010 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

So if there's a negatively charged rod 2d from a positively charged rod, what's the electric field in their middle?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook