Electric Field of a Hollow Cylidrical Conductor

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Gauss' law to obtain the magnitude of the electric field at different distances from a hollow cylindrical conductor with a positive surface charge density σ. The direction of the electric field is radial and its magnitude is only dependent on the distance r from the z-axis. It is suggested to use a cylindrical surface with a surface area of 2*PI*r*l for the calculation.
Zook104
Consider a hollow cylindrical conductor in vacuum with its axis aligned with
the z-axis, and with a positive surface charge density σ. The direction of the
electric field is radial and its magnitude E is only a function of the distance r
from the z-axis, E = E(r).

Use Gauss' law to obtain the magnitude of the electric field at r < R and
at r ≥ R, where R is the radius of the conductor.

I don't know whether I have got my brain stuck in a rut but I can't for the life of me solve this. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated :D

Physics news on Phys.org
hey, welcome to physicsforums!
Try using Gauss' law, as it says. What kind of Gaussian surface should you use to take advantage of the symmetry?

A cylindrical surface? With surface area of 2[itex]\pi[/itex]rl ?

Or should I just use a circular one because the conductor is infinite either side?

Use the cylinder with surface area of 2*PI*r*l
Do the calculation using the information they have given you, and it should all come out nicely. (Even though the conductor is infinite, it doesn't go bad).

Zook104 said:
A cylindrical surface? With surface area of 2[itex]\pi[/itex]rl ?

Go with that one.

Excellent I believe I have got the correct answer :D Thank you so much for your help

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region around a charged object where the force of electricity is exerted on other charged particles. It can be thought of as the space in which the influence of an electric charge can be felt.

2. How is the electric field of a hollow cylindrical conductor calculated?

The electric field of a hollow cylindrical conductor is calculated using the equation E = λ/2πε0r, where λ is the linear charge density, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and r is the distance from the center of the cylinder.

3. Why is the electric field inside a hollow cylindrical conductor zero?

The electric field inside a hollow cylindrical conductor is zero because the charge inside the conductor is distributed evenly on the surface, and the electric field inside a conductor is always perpendicular to the surface and zero.

4. How does the electric field change as you move away from the center of the cylinder?

The electric field decreases as you move away from the center of the cylinder, following an inverse relationship with the distance from the center. This means that the farther away you are from the center, the weaker the electric field will be.

5. How does the electric field of a hollow cylindrical conductor differ from a solid cylindrical conductor?

The electric field inside a solid cylindrical conductor is not zero, as the charge is distributed throughout the entire volume of the cylinder. Additionally, the electric field inside a solid cylinder follows a different equation, E = ρ/2ε0, where ρ is the volume charge density. The electric field outside both types of cylinders follows the same equation.