Electric Field of two line charges

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the electric field on the center of two line charges. The method involves using the general expression for the electric field due to a semi-infinite line of charge and applying superposition. The conversation also addresses the confusion about an inclined wire and suggests using rotation to simplify the calculations.
badluckmath
Homework Statement
Find the Electrical Field on the O point
Relevant Equations
##dl = dx\sqrt{1+(\frac{dy}{dx})^{2}}##
I'm trying to solve this, but i don't really know how to start this problem. There are two line charges and i must find the E. Field on the center.
q1.png

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Start with the general expression for the electric field due to a semi-infinite finite line of charge. You may have to look it up or derive it. Then use superposition.

Last edited:
kuruman said:
Start with the general expression for the electric field due to a semi-infinite line of charge. You may have to look it up or derive it. Then use superposition.
Yeah, my confusion is what to do about the inclined wire.

What inclined wire? If I interpret your drawing correctly you have two wires forming a right angle and you want the electric field at distance ##h## from the corner on the 45o line between the wires. Find the contribution at that point for one wire, then do the same for the second wire. The second wire should be easy because the magnitude will be the same and you will not have to do any more integrals.

On edit: Oops! I just realized that you have wire segments not semi-infinite wires. That should only change the upper limit of integration. Also, it might be easier to do the field components if you rotated the angle so that one wire segment is horizontal and the other vertical like coordinate axes.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2

1. What is the formula for calculating the electric field of two line charges?

The formula for calculating the electric field of two line charges is E = (k * Q) / r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the line charges, and r is the distance between the two line charges.

2. How does the direction of the electric field change between the two line charges?

The direction of the electric field between two line charges is always perpendicular to the line connecting the two charges. This means that the electric field lines will be pointing away from one charge and towards the other charge.

3. Can the electric field of two line charges cancel out?

Yes, it is possible for the electric field of two line charges to cancel out. This occurs when the two line charges have equal magnitudes but opposite signs and are placed at equal distances from a point in space. In this case, the electric fields from each charge will cancel each other out, resulting in no net electric field at that point.

4. How does the distance between the two line charges affect the electric field?

The electric field between two line charges is inversely proportional to the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the two charges decreases, the electric field strength increases, and vice versa.

5. What is the difference between the electric field of two line charges and the electric field of a single line charge?

The electric field of two line charges is the combined effect of the electric fields produced by each individual line charge. In contrast, the electric field of a single line charge is the electric field produced by that charge alone. Additionally, the direction and magnitude of the electric field will vary depending on the position and distance from the two line charges, whereas the electric field of a single line charge is constant at all points along the line.