1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field problem

1. Oct 10, 2005 #1
    I've been working on a problem but I dont understand how to solve it.

A Geiger counter detects radiation such as alpha particles by using the fact that the radiation ionizes the air along its path. A thin wire lies on the axis of a hollow metal cylinder and is insulated from it. A large potential difference is established between the wire and the outer cylinder, with the wire at higher potential; this sets up a strong electric field directed radially outward. When ionizing radiation enters the device, it ionizes a few air molecules. The free electrons produced are accelerated by the electric field toward the wire and, on the way there, ionize many more air molecules. Thus a current pulse is produced that can be detected by appropriate electronic circuitry and converted to an audible "click". The tube of a Geiger counter has a long, hollow, metal cylinder 2.00 cm in diameter. Along the axis of the tube is a wire 0.127 mm in diameter running its full length. When the tube is operating, a voltage of 850 V is applied between the two conductors.

Find the electric field strength at the outer surface of the wire & the electric field strength at the inner surface of the cylinder.

I was trying to use this eqn: E(r)=V/ln(b/a)*(1/r) where b=radius of the cylinder and a=radius of wire.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The form of the E-field is correct (I didn't check the ln(b/a) factor ; it must be something of the kind ; you can verify it by integrating the E-field along a radial line from the surface of the wire to the radius of the tube). So your formula gives you the E-field for an arbitrary distance r from the center of the wire. They ask you to give the value of the E-field for two particular places ; why can't you just put in the numbers for those places (particular values of r) ?

EDIT: a remark to the problem of general nature: you need to use special gas mixtures. A geiger counter doesn't work in AIR :smile: The reason is that oxygen is way too electronegative, and has "eaten" all electrons drifting before they reach the anode wire.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?