1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field

1. Jul 12, 2008 #1

Two spherical shells where the inner has a radius a and the outer a radius of b. The inner has a total charge of -Q whereas the outer shell has a total charge +Q. The question is to calculate the electric field intensity everywhere in space.
    My question is now, how do I choose the limits for example [tex] a \leq R \leq b [/tex] I have two examples below

No point charge in the middle

[tex] E = 0, 0 \leq R \prec a [/tex] (not equal to a)

[tex] E = -\frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_{o}R^3} \bold{R} [/tex] [tex] a \leq R \leq b [/tex]

[tex] E = 0, b \prec R \prec \infty [/tex]

A point charge in the middle

[tex] E = \frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_{o}R^3} \bold{R} [/tex] [tex] 0 \prec R \leq a [/tex] why set equal to a here and not when there aint no point charge in the middle?

[tex] E = 0 [/tex] [tex]a \prec R \prec b [/tex]

[tex] E = \frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_{o}R^3} \bold{R} [/tex] [tex] b \leq R \prec \infty [/tex]
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2008 #2
    A point within a spherical shell experiences 0N/C. For R between a and b, inner shell is effective and outer shell's net effect is 0N/C...this works for even insulators so long as charge is evenly distributed across the shell (question didn't specify whether it was a conductor or something else). If the thickness of the shells is negligible, then you could consider the effect of the inner shell as that due to a point charge.
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?