Electric fields and gravitational fields

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the equivalent equation for gravitational fields to the statement "if a charge moves in an electric field from a point through any route back to its point of origin, the change in electric potential is 0" is "if a mass moves in a gravitational field from a point through any route back to its point of origin, the change in gravitational potential is 0." This is based on the principle of conservation of energy and can be represented as the sum of gravitational force multiplied by distance traveled is equal to 0.
normannb

Homework Statement

for electric fields i know total flux through a closed surface is proportional to tot. charge enclosed..goes ssame for gravt. fields. total gravitational flux through a closed surface is proportional to total mass enclosed. Now there's the next equation that says if a charge moves in an electric field from a point through any route back to its point of origin change in electric potential is 0. I'm trying to get the equivalent of that for gravitational fields. Help is greatly appreciated
blefjbadgv.jpg

Homework Equations

Change in gravitational potential

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought i'd write Sum. g. dr = 0...i really don't know...help please

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. I understand that you are looking for the equivalent equation for gravitational fields to the statement "if a charge moves in an electric field from a point through any route back to its point of origin, the change in electric potential is 0." I would be happy to help you with this.

The equivalent equation for gravitational fields would be "if a mass moves in a gravitational field from a point through any route back to its point of origin, the change in gravitational potential is 0." This can be written as:

Sum of gravitational force x distance traveled = 0

This equation is based on the principle of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. In this case, the gravitational potential energy of the mass is being converted into kinetic energy as it moves through the gravitational field, but the total energy remains constant.

I hope this helps to clarify things for you. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your studies!

FAQ: Electric fields and gravitational fields

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where electrically charged particles, such as electrons or protons, experience a force. This force can either attract or repel other charged particles.

2. How is an electric field created?

An electric field is created by a charged particle, such as an electron or a proton. When a charged particle is placed in space, it creates an electric field around itself. This field can also be created by a collection of charged particles, such as in an electric circuit.

3. What is the difference between an electric field and a gravitational field?

An electric field is created by charged particles, while a gravitational field is created by massive objects. The strength of an electric field depends on the magnitude of the charges, while the strength of a gravitational field depends on the masses of the objects. Additionally, an electric field can attract or repel other charged particles, while a gravitational field only attracts objects.

4. How are electric fields and gravitational fields similar?

Both electric fields and gravitational fields are considered fundamental forces in physics. They both have the ability to exert a force on other objects, and their strength decreases as the distance from the source increases. Additionally, both fields are described by mathematical equations that were developed by Isaac Newton and James Clerk Maxwell.

5. What are some real-life applications of electric and gravitational fields?

Electric fields are used in many everyday devices, such as cell phones, computers, and lighting. They are also essential in generating and transmitting electricity. Gravitational fields are responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun, and they are also used in space travel and satellite communications. Additionally, both fields play a crucial role in the functioning of the human body, as our nervous system relies on electric signals and our body's weight is determined by gravitational pull.

Back