Electric Fields through dielectrics

In summary, the dielectric opposes the electric field, meaning that both example 1 and 2 should have the same capacitance. However, if the air gap is at the same scale as the polar molecule gap, the air dielectric will modify the physical capacitance of the circuit.
Samson4
My question is simple; yet, I can not find the answer. In the picture below, all variables are identical; the plate separations, surface area, etc. The only difference is the fact that example 1 has 2 different dielectrics. Better yet, it has a dielectric that doesn't extend the entire distance between the two conductors.

1.Does example 1 and 2 have the same capacitance?

My understanding: conventional physics explains that the dielectric opposes the electric field. With that in mind, both should have the same capacitance.

2. Does that mean the dielectric is actually creating an electric field that permeates another dielectric? This being air in example 1.

3. If air has a dielectric strength slightly higher than vacuum, shouldn't it oppose the field from conductor 1 and the field from the high k dielectric? This would mean example 1 has a higher capacitance, correct?

dielectrics.png

Physics news on Phys.org
the dielectric generates an opposing electric field. as a consecquence, electric field is lesser than with vacuum, which is the best dielectric. equivalently, the capacitance of a filledcapacitor is lesser than the one with vacuum. the word in spanish is "apantallar", i don't remember the word in english

What?

If the electric field is "lesser", the capacitance is higher. I also think you are confusing dielectric strength and dielectric constant.

yes, i got confused, capacity is higher. and dielectric strength is irrelevant for low fields. what's relevant is dielectric constant. so, if dielectric constant of k is greater than the air, the capacitance of 2 will be greater.

Both capacitors have a high k dielectric, why does capacitor 2 have a higher capacitance? Dielectric thickness is not apart of capacitance formulas, so is it not irrelevant? From my understanding, conductors and dielectrics react to electric fields in very 2 dimensional ways.

I still think they are equal or example 1 has higher capacitance. This is so confusing.

See, no mention of thickness. Since the materials atomic structure defines it's dielectric constant, would that mean it doesn't have to expand the entire gap between the conductors?

Samson4 said:
See, no mention of thickness. Since the materials atomic structure defines it's dielectric constant, would that mean it doesn't have to expand the entire gap between the conductors?

Unless the air gap is at the same scale of the polar molecules gap the air dielectric will modify the physical capacitance of the circuit.

http://web.mit.edu/8.02t/www/materials/StudyGuide/guide05.pdf
Example 5.6 and
5.9.2 Capacitor with Dielectrics

Last edited:
How does the electric field gain strength once it has left the polar molecules?

That would also mean the field the polar molecules are making are only internal, when they must be external by definition.

What are you talking about? How is that related?

In example 1 you have two capacitors in series, one with dielectric εK and one with dielectric ε0. In example 2, you have just one capacitor, with dielectric εK. Do you need the formula for calculating the capacitance?

There is one capacitor in example one. For there to be two I would need at least another conductor.

Samson4 said:
There is one capacitor in example one. For there to be two I would need at least another conductor.

No. You can calculate the capacitance between any two elements. I just used the border between the high k dielectric and air as one (virtual) plate.

If you want to, imagine a very thin plate at this border and let the thickness →0.

Likes Samson4
Its equivalent, it's a conductor of length zero

Likes Samson4
Hell yes, now I see it. The effective distance of the plate separation changes. Thank you guys so much.

1. What is an electric field through a dielectric?

An electric field through a dielectric is the force per unit charge exerted on a charged particle by the dielectric material. It is a measure of the strength of the electric field passing through the material.

2. How does a dielectric affect an electric field?

A dielectric can decrease the strength of an electric field passing through it by polarizing its molecules and creating an opposing electric field. This results in a decrease in the overall electric field strength.

3. What is the role of dielectrics in capacitors?

Dielectrics are used in capacitors to increase their capacitance, which is a measure of their ability to store electric charge. This is achieved by placing a dielectric material between the two metal plates of a capacitor, which reduces the effective distance between the plates and increases the capacitance.

4. What is the difference between a conductor and a dielectric?

A conductor is a material that allows electric charges to flow freely through it, while a dielectric is a material that restricts the flow of electric charges. Conductors have low resistivity, while dielectrics have high resistivity.

5. How does the type of dielectric affect the electric field?

The type of dielectric used can affect the electric field in different ways. Some dielectric materials have a higher dielectric constant, which means they can polarize more easily and decrease the electric field strength more effectively. Other factors such as temperature and frequency can also influence the effect of a dielectric on an electric field.