Finding Electric Flux of Cube with E Field

In summary: So you have a positive vector E directed outwardly, but since the vector is directed inwardly across the face, you have a negative flux. Since the surface is symmetric, you get the same negative flux on the opposite face.In summary, the electric flux passing through the sides of a cube with each side of length A, placed at its back left hand bottom corner at (0,0,0) can be found by using the formula Φ = EA*Cosθ, where θ is the angle taken with the perpendicular. For the electric field E=(-3x)i + (2y)j + (4z)k, the flux is 0 for all sides since the area of each side is A2 and the
Dell
given a cube,each side with a lenth of A, placed at with its back left hand bottom corner at (0,0,0).
find the electric flux passing through the sides if the electric field is
a) E=(-3x)i + (2y)j + (4z)k
b) E=(sin(pi*x/A)i + cos(pi*y/2A)j

for a) since the area of each side is A2, flux=A2*E, since the cube is at the origin, anything on -x,-y,-z will have o value (for x,y,z) and therefore 0 E and so 0 flux

flux=

flux from
right= 2*A*A2 =2A3
left= 2*0*A2 =0
top= 4*A*A2 = 4A3
bottom= 4*0*A2 =0
front= -3*A*A2=-3A3
back= -3*A*A2 =0

for b) i can't see how they got the answers, the answers are all 0 other than ffor the left which they say is

left=-A2
but as far as i can tell, the left flux is [cos(pi*y/2A)j * A2 ] cos(pi/2)=0 so i don't see how they come to this??

hope i am doing this right, really not sure, any help appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Not so fast. The E field is a vector field and you need to consider the flux passing through the surface.

Φ = ∫ E*dA = ∫ ECosθdA = EA*Cosθ

Now on each of the three faces from the origin the flux will lie in the plane and hence will have 0 contribution, since cos90 =0.
(θ is angle taken with the ⊥ )

But at each of the 3 faces at x,y,z from the origin what will the flux be over the area?

dont reallyunderstand, could you pls try pput it into simpler terms, i don't study in english and don't understand what you mean by flux over the area?? where have i gone wrong? i realize that E is a vector

but this E has x y and z coordinates

Maybe you have the solution, and I have missed your statement?

If your answer is the sum of the fluxes that you found through the 3 outer faces 2A3, 4A3, -3A3, then that looks correct. I didn't understand from your solution if this is what you were saying at first.

Last edited:
Dell said:
for b) i can't see how they got the answers, the answers are all 0 other than ffor the left which they say is

left=-A2
but as far as i can tell, the left flux is [cos(pi*y/2A)j * A2 ] cos(pi/2)=0 so i don't see how they come to this??

hope i am doing this right, really not sure, any help appreciated

Evaluating b) you have 0 through x-y faces because there is no z component.

In the z-y, the x components evaluated at x=0 and x=A yield again 0 since sin(π ) = 0

However for the z-x planes evaluated at y=0 and y=A, yields 0 for the Y=A (since cos(π/2) = 0), but cos(0) is 1 so that face will yield a flux over the area A2.

i don't understand your workings? could you try step by step please.
for b) why do you evaluate at y=0 and y=A, why is y=0 an option? is this the left hand side of the cube, which is at the origin?? also why is the flux -A^2? when cos0=1 and not -1

i think i got it, since the vector of the field goes like j, (in direction of y+), the flux on the left side is -A^2, (since it goes into the left side and not away from it).
since the normal to the side is going to y- and E is going to y+ so cos180=-1,

is this right??

Dell said:
i don't understand your workings? could you try step by step please.
for b) why do you evaluate at y=0 and y=A, why is y=0 an option? is this the left hand side of the cube, which is at the origin?? also why is the flux -A^2? when cos0=1 and not -1

Yes. It is the left handed side along the origin, and since it is negative directed (into the surface) the flux is -A2

Last edited:
but howcome for the answer to a), i got the minus from the equation, but here i had to use my logic, surely there must be some rule to follow?

Dell said:
but howcome for the answer to a), i got the minus from the equation, but here i had to use my logic, surely there must be some rule to follow?

In a) you weren't dealing with the complicating factor that you had a negative facing surface with the vector inwardly directed as in the fact that the field vector was positively directed, but inwardly as far as the Gaussian surface was concerned. Those faces had 0 flux crossing the face.

The rule is flux out is positive. Hence for a point charge and a sphere you have outward vectors (positive charge) over all the surface in all directions, and the integral over the surface area accumulates all those positive field vectors to determine the positive charge inside.

But in 2) here you had a surface that, while it had a positive field vector across the face, was not positive with respect to its direction crossing the face.

1. What is electric flux?

Electric flux is a measure of the flow of electric field through a given surface. It is equal to the electric field strength multiplied by the projected area of the surface perpendicular to the field.

2. How do you calculate electric flux?

To calculate electric flux, you need to multiply the electric field strength by the projected area of the surface perpendicular to the field. The formula is Φ = E x A x cos(θ), where E is the electric field strength, A is the area, and θ is the angle between the electric field and the surface.

3. What is the unit of electric flux?

The unit of electric flux is Nm²/C, which can also be written as volts (V) or newton-meters squared per coulomb (N⋅m²/C).

4. How does the size of the surface affect the electric flux?

The size of the surface does not affect the electric flux, as long as the surface is perpendicular to the electric field. Only the projected area of the surface matters in the calculation of electric flux.

5. Can the electric flux of a cube be negative?

Yes, the electric flux of a cube can be negative. This means that the electric field is entering the cube through the surface rather than exiting it. The direction of the electric flux depends on the direction of the electric field and the orientation of the surface.