Which type of device is best for a regenerative braking system on a go cart?

• Thread starter siua
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electric
In summary, the individual is seeking advice on designing a regenerative/power system for a go cart. They are considering using a generator as a motor and vice versa to create a regenerative braking system. They need a device that can produce 1-3 kW and are unsure if a basic electric motor, dedicated generator, or a specific dual-capability device would be best for their application. They are also wondering if a golf cart motor could handle the torque load to slow the cart down and generate the necessary charge. They have been advised to search for manufacturers or check local salvage yards for suitable options, but have also read conflicting information about the effectiveness of electric motors as generators.
siua
Hello, I am trying to design a regenerative/power system for a go cart. I know I can use a generator as a motor and vise verse, but I don't know exactly what parts to look for that will produce the best results.

I would like to use this Motor/Generator as a regenerative braking system to apply a force to slow down the cart and charge the batteries, then use the same power to start it up again to assist the motor, minus losses.

I need about 1-3 kW's.

What kind of device would be best for this application, a basic electric motor? dedicated generator like those designed for small scale wind energy? Or a specific one that is designed for both capabilities?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
golf cart motor ?

search on that term will take you to several manufacturers

or try your local salvage yard...

I read a previous thread here that was saying that the electric motors don't work well as generators. Could a golf cart motor handle to torque load to slow it down and produce the needed charge?

1. What is an electric generator?

An electric generator is a device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. It works by using a magnetic field and a conductor to induce an electrical current.

2. How does an electric generator work?

An electric generator works by rotating a coil of wire within a magnetic field. This rotation creates a changing magnetic field, which in turn induces an electrical current in the wire.

3. What are the different types of electric generators?

There are three main types of electric generators: AC generators, DC generators, and induction generators. AC generators produce alternating current, while DC generators produce direct current. Induction generators are typically used in wind turbines and use electromagnets to produce electricity.

4. What is an electric motor?

An electric motor is a device that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy. It works by using a magnetic field and electrical current to create rotational motion.

5. How does an electric motor work?

An electric motor works by passing an electrical current through a coiled wire that is placed within a magnetic field. This creates a force that causes the wire to rotate, resulting in the motor's movement.