Electric Impedance: Exploring ω2LC=1

In summary, in a circuit with a capacitor and inductor in series, when ω2LC=1, the inductive and capacitive reactances are equal and opposite, resulting in a resonant frequency where there can be large currents with minimal voltage needed. However, in reality, losses in the circuit will affect its characteristics.
whatisreality

Homework Statement

Consider a circuit with a capacitor C in series an inductor of inductance L. Explain what happens when ω2LC=1, without calculations, using your knowledge and intuition.

Homework Equations

1/Z = 1/impedance = 1/(iωL) +1/(iωC)
i is pure imaginary.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, unfortunately I have no intuition. I don't know what the quantity ω2LC represents, but it appears in the equation when you rearrange to find Z. So when I worked out Z, it was -1/(iωC+iωL) when the set condition is met. Which is a bit weird, because -ve resistance makes no sense...?
I've obviously gone wrong somewhere!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, a capacitor has impedance $$1\over j\omega C$$
Look here for some ideas

So when ω2LC=1 then the inductive and capacitive reactances are equal. The current is oscillating at the resonant frequency of the circuit?

That's right. Nothing wrong with your intuition.
Reactances are equal and opposite. So together they are 'zero'. ##\bf V = Z I## (bold face to mark them as complex): there can be huge currents shooting back and forth with 'no' voltage needed to whip them up. In reality you can't have a lossless system, so characteristics of an RLC circuit sneak in.

1. What is electric impedance?

Electric impedance is a measure of the opposition to the flow of an alternating current (AC) in a circuit. It is represented by the symbol Z and is measured in ohms (Ω).

2. How is electric impedance calculated?

Electric impedance is calculated using the formula Z = √(R^2 + (Xl - Xc)^2), where R is the resistance in the circuit, Xl is the inductive reactance, and Xc is the capacitive reactance. This formula is based on Ohm's law and takes into account the effects of both resistance and reactance on the flow of an AC current.

3. What is the significance of ω2LC=1 in electric impedance?

This equation, also known as the resonant frequency equation, represents the point at which the inductive reactance (Xl) and the capacitive reactance (Xc) are equal. At this frequency, the impedance of the circuit is at its minimum, meaning that the circuit is most efficient at allowing the flow of current.

4. How is electric impedance used in practical applications?

Electric impedance is a crucial concept in the design and analysis of electronic circuits. By understanding the impedance of a circuit, engineers can optimize the performance of electronic devices and ensure they are operating safely and efficiently.

5. How does electric impedance relate to frequency?

Electric impedance is directly related to frequency, as both resistance and reactance are frequency-dependent. As the frequency of an AC current increases, the reactance of capacitors decreases while the reactance of inductors increases. This results in a change in the overall impedance of the circuit.