Electric Potential and Kinematics

In summary: So at r=0 you have:U_0 = -\frac{Q}{4\pi\varepsilon_0}And at r=R:U_R = \frac{1}{4\pi\varepsilon_0}\frac{Q}{R}
Elysium
Hi, I'm currently doing a practice problem and I need help in solving it.

Ok first the problem:

An insulated sphere of radius R is charged unformly with the total charge +Q. Since the electric field is outwards, an electron of charge -e (insulated, so that it won't disappear while traveling iside the charged sphere) placed at the surface will be pull toward the center of the sphere.
  • What is the initial potential energy of the electron (relative to a point at infinity in terms of Q and R)?
  • Calculate the velocity of the electron (also in terms of Q and R) when it reaches the center of the sphere. Note that the electric field and hence the acceleration is not constant. Use the concept of conservation of kinetic and potential energies. Some simple integration is necessary to compute the potential at the center of the sphere.

a)Ok, the potential energy of the electron is:

[tex]U = -eV_R[/tex]

To find V of R we need to refer to electric field:

[tex]V_f - V_i = -\int_{i}^{f} \vec{E} \cdot d\vec{R}[/tex]
[tex]V(R) - V(\infty) = -\frac{Q}{4\pi\varepsilon_\varnothing} \int_{R}^{\infty} \frac{dR}{R}[/tex]
[tex]V_R = \frac{1}{4\pi\varepsilon_\varnothing}\frac{Q}{R}[/tex]

Therefore,

[tex]U = -eV_R[/tex]
[tex]U = \frac{1}{4\pi\varepsilon_\varnothing}\frac{-eQ}{R}[/tex]

B)This is the one I'm having trouble with. I don't know what the final potential energy is or out to get it.

Here's what I have so far:

[tex]U_\varnothing = K_f + U_f[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{4\pi\varepsilon_\varnothing}\frac{-eQ}{R} = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 + U_f[/tex]

So what do I do for U of f?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You'll first have to find the electric field inside the sphere using Gauss's law. Then integrate that from 0 to R to get the potential at the center, designating the potential at the surface zero.

That means:

[tex]\int \vec{E} \cdot d\vec{S} = \frac{Q_{enclosed}}{\varepsilon_\varnothing}[/tex]
[tex]\int E \cdot dS cos(0) = \frac{Q_{enclosed}}{\varepsilon_\varnothing}[/tex]
[tex]E \cdot 4 \pi R^2 = \frac{Q_{enclosed}}{\varepsilon_\varnothing}[/tex]

Charge is intact, so...
[tex]\int E = \frac{1}{4\pi\varepsilon_\varnothing} \frac{|Q|}{R^2}[/tex]

Which is the same for pointlike charges...

Now:

[tex]V_f - V_i = -\int_{i}^{f} \vec{E} \cdot d\vec{R}[/tex]
[tex]V(R) - V(0) = -\int_{0}^{R} \vec{E} \cdot d\vec{R}[/tex]
[tex]V(R) - V(0) = -\frac{Q}{4\pi\varepsilon_\varnothing} \int_{0}^{R} \frac{dR}{R}[/tex]eh there's a division by zero. Does this mean that there's no potential energy in the center? That's what I assumed at the begining, but now I'm lost. :confused:

Last edited:
I think you've forgotten Gauss' Law: :wink:
[tex]\int \vec{E} \cdot d\vec{A} = \frac{q_{enc}}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]

No I haven't. it's in my previous post. Am I complicating things?

You're trying to find the electric field at any distance [tex]r[/tex] from the center of the sphere. So:
[tex]E \cdot 4 \pi r^2 = \frac{\rho V}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]
where
[tex]\rho = \frac{Q}{\frac{4}{3} \pi R^3}[/tex]
and
[tex]V = \frac{4}{3} \pi r^3[/tex]
(Notice r is not the same as R).

Last edited:

Related to Electric Potential and Kinematics

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential, also known as voltage, is the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field.

2. How is electric potential different from electric field?

Electric field is a vector quantity that represents the force experienced by a unit charge at a specific point in an electric field. Electric potential, on the other hand, is a scalar quantity that represents the energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field.

3. How is electric potential calculated?

Electric potential is calculated using the equation V = kQ/r, where V is the potential, k is a constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance from the charge.

4. What is the relationship between electric potential and kinetic energy?

Electric potential and kinetic energy are related through the formula V = KE/q, where V is the potential, KE is the kinetic energy, and q is the charge. This formula shows that an increase in electric potential will result in an increase in kinetic energy for a given charge.

5. How is electric potential related to motion?

Electric potential is related to motion through the concept of electric potential energy. As a charged particle moves in an electric field, it experiences a change in electric potential energy, which can be converted into kinetic energy. This results in the particle's motion being affected by the electric potential in the field.