Electric potential and velocity

In summary, the electric potential energy of an electron is equal to the potential energy of the electron divided by the charge. The charge of the electron is negative: so at higher potential its potential energy is more negative than at low potential. When the electron goes from law potential to high one, its potential energy decreases. The electric field is conservative, so what happens to the kinetic energy of the electron? If there is electric field, there is force on a charged particle. If there is force when a particle travels through a distance, there is work. If work is done, the KE of the particle changes.
san203
Gold Member
Hello all. I had written a test today on ELECTRIC POTENTIAL and I got this particular question wrong:

Homework Statement

If an electron would travel from a region of low potential to a region of high potential , would there be a change in velocity?

2. My take at the problem : electric potential is a location based quantity which is nothing but just P.E. /charge.
So if an electron were to go from low potential to higher potential , then it would increase its potential energy. the work done by electric field(assuming their is a electric field) would be negative in magnitude and hence decrease the velocity

The answer : velocity does not change
How is this possible?:confused:

Level : 12th grade:D

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
san203 said:
Hello all. I had written a test today on ELECTRIC POTENTIAL and I got this particular question wrong:

Homework Statement

If an electron would travel from a region of low potential to a region of high potential , would there be a change in velocity?

2. My take at the problem : electric potential is a location based quantity which is nothing but just P.E. /charge.
So if an electron were to go from low potential to higher potential , then it would increase its potential energy.
You correctly stated that the the electric potential is equal to the potential energy of a charged body divided by the charge. The charge of the electron is negative: so at higher potential its potential energy is more negative than at low potential. When the electron goes from law potential to high one, its potential energy decreases. The electric field is conservative, so what happens to the kinetic energy of the electron?

san203 said:
The answer : velocity does not change
How is this possible?:confused:

Level : 12th grade:D

That is certainly not true.

ehild

ehild said:
You correctly stated that the the electric potential is equal to the potential energy of a charged body divided by the charge. The charge of the electron is negative: so at higher potential its potential energy is more negative than at low potential. When the electron goes from law potential to high one, its potential energy decreases. The electric field is conservative, so what happens to the kinetic energy of the electron? ehild

I see. So by conservation of energy, the velocity of particle should increase.
Am I right in saying that the answer you gave was based on the assumption that the field was created by a negative charge?
Because the question does not state anything about the type of field.My teacher's answer : As their is no field , their should be no force and hence no change in velocity.

So how could their be a electric potential when their is no field?

There is field if the potential changes. If there is electric field, there is force on a charged particle. If there is force when a particle travels through a distance, there is work. If work is done, the KE of the particle changes.

ehild

ehild,
I am not clear about this. Can you help?
Let say the electron moves from A to B with VA < VB
The potential energy of the electron at A and B:
WA = q*VA
WB = q*VB
Where q = -1.6*10^-19C
If 0<VA<VB => WA > WB
=> When electron moves from A to B its potential energy decreases => its kinetic energy increases and its velocity increases
Is this right?

How about the case VA < 0 < VB?
Then WB < 0< WA => KE (at B) < KE (at A) => its velocity decreases.
Is this also right?

anhnha said:
ehild,
I am not clear about this. Can you help?
Let say the electron moves from A to B with VA < VB
The potential energy of the electron at A and B:
WA = q*VA
WB = q*VB
Where q = -1.6*10^-19C
If 0<VA<VB => WA > WB
=> When electron moves from A to B its potential energy decreases => its kinetic energy increases and its velocity increases
Is this right?

It is right.

anhnha said:
How about the case VA < 0 < VB?
Then WB < 0< WA => KE (at B) < KE (at A) => its velocity decreases.
Is this also right?

No. It is the same as before. If VA<VB, the sign of the potential does not matter.

Let be VA=-10 V and VB = 5 V
As the charge of the electron is negative, qVA>qVB: WA=1.6x10-19*10 J, WB=-1.6x10-19*5. You see that WA>WB. As energy is conserved, KE(A)+WA=KE(B)+WB --->WA-WB=KE(B)-KE(A) >0 KE(B)>KE(A), the KE energy increases, the speed also increases.

ehild

Likes 1 person
Get it now, thanks ehild:smile:

You are welcome:smile:

ehild

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential, also known as voltage, is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge. It describes the amount of work required to move a unit positive charge from a reference point to a specific point against an electric field.

2. How is electric potential related to electric field?

Electric potential and electric field are closely related. The electric field is the negative gradient of the electric potential. This means that the direction of the electric field is always from higher potential to lower potential.

3. What is the unit of electric potential?

The SI unit of electric potential is volts (V). It is equivalent to joules per coulomb (J/C).

4. How is electric potential different from electric potential energy?

Electric potential is a measure of potential energy per unit charge, while electric potential energy is the energy that a charged particle possesses due to its position in an electric field. Electric potential is a scalar quantity, while electric potential energy is a vector quantity.

5. How does velocity affect electric potential?

Velocity does not directly affect electric potential. However, it can affect the electric field, which in turn affects the electric potential. For example, a moving charged particle will create a magnetic field, which can alter the electric field and therefore the electric potential in its vicinity.