Electric Potential / Electric Energy

In summary, a 0.50kg ball is suspended in a uniform electric field with a magnitude of 1500 N/C. The forces acting on the ball are gravity, tension from the string, and the electric force. By setting the horizontal and vertical components of the tension equal to the electric and gravitational forces, respectively, and solving for the unknown charge, a solution can be found. The final equation is qE = mg * tan(10 degrees).
VanKwisH

Homework Statement

A 0.50kg ball is suspended in a uniform electric field ( E = 1500 N/C )
as shown in the diagram ...

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/9771/23vl0.th.png

Calculate the charge on the ball

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found fg = -4.9 N ...
but what next?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is Fg ?

You need to find the forces on the ball due to gravity and the electric field and set them equal. That will give an equation for Q, the charge on the ball.

so basically what ur saying is Fg = E ?

If the ball is not moving, then the electric force (which is horizontal) is balanced by the horizontal component of the gravitational force. Write down expressions for the forces.

Fex + Fgx = 0
Fex = - Fgx
Fey + Fgy = 0
Fey = - Fgy ?

If you have a charge Q in an electric field E ( pointing in the x-direction), what is the force on the charge ?

hmmmmmmm the answer says 5.76 x 10^-4
but i get 0.00331 ......
what i did was
i found Fex = 0.864
and Fey = 4.9
i used pythagoras to find the whole part of the Fe and
E = F / Q
so i re-arranged it so that Q = F / E
and that's how i got my answer ... what am i doing wrong?

Mentz114 said:
If you have a charge Q in an electric field E ( pointing in the x-direction), what is the force on the charge ?

i don't know ... my physics teacher didn't teach me that

I dunno. I would write

Q.E = -m.g.sin(10 deg)

i don't know ... my physics teacher didn't teach me that
You need to know that to solve the problem.

hmmmmmm when i do that ... I get the right answer ...
but one question ... what happened to the Y part of the
formula ? isn't that relevant to the solution as well ?
because if u have an Fgy ... wouldn't u need an Fey
in order for it so not move??

Have a look here -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_field

what happened to the Y part of the
formula ? isn't that relevant to the solution as well ?
because if u have an Fgy ... wouldn't u need an Fey
in order for it so not move??
There is a y-component in the tension of the string that offsets the vertical force.

Hi Mentz114,

The formula you have

Q.E = -m.g.sin(10 deg)

does not look right to me. There are three forces acting on the ball: gravity, tension from the string, and the electric force. Gravity is vertical, the electric force is horizontal, and the tension is at an angle.

So the vertical component of the tension (T cos(theta)) must be equal in magnitude to the gravitational force mg, and the horizontal component of the tension (T sin(theta) )must be equal in magnitude to the electric force qE. (This is shown by writing the x and y equations from your force diagram.)

At that point you'll have two equation with two unknowns which you can solve, and you'll end up with a tangent function instead of a sine.

alphysicist,
you could be right. OP says he got the right answer, but I didn't see the string until he raised the y-component issue.

alphysicist said:
Hi Mentz114,

The formula you have

Q.E = -m.g.sin(10 deg)

does not look right to me. There are three forces acting on the ball: gravity, tension from the string, and the electric force. Gravity is vertical, the electric force is horizontal, and the tension is at an angle.

So the vertical component of the tension (T cos(theta)) must be equal in magnitude to the gravitational force mg, and the horizontal component of the tension (T sin(theta) )must be equal in magnitude to the electric force qE. (This is shown by writing the x and y equations from your force diagram.)

At that point you'll have two equation with two unknowns which you can solve, and you'll end up with a tangent function instead of a sine.

AHHHH ... that made so much more sense thank you ...and i got it :D

alphysicist,
Something bothers me about the above. To solve 2 equations in 2 unknowns you need 2 degrees of freedom. But if the string is always taut, x and y are not independent. Any change in x requires a change in y, so there's only one degree of freedom, the angle.

However I can see that a tan() is more intuitive. Can you display the solution ?

M

Mentz114,

From the force diagram I get:

x equation: T sin(10 degrees) = q E
y equation: T cos(10 degrees) = m g

Either solving one of these for T and plugging into the other, or dividing the x-equation over the y-equation gives:

(T sin(10 degrees) )/(T cos(10 degrees) ) = (qE)/(mg)

which gives qE = mg tan(10 degrees)

I might be misunderstanding your statement about the degrees of freedom; in the vertical direction there is no change in the forces no matter what the charge is since the vertical component of the tension is always equal to the weight. Varying the charge would change just the horizontal component of the tension. Therefore the real central part of the problem varying with charge would just be

(T_x) = q E

but since we don't want to use tension in the answer, we want the angle, we use extra expressions (the vertical equation) that relate tension, theta, and mg.

alphysicist,
thanks, all resolved. I missed the cos resolution. It is one equation in one unknown as required by the df.

M

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the amount of electric potential energy that a unit charge would have at a particular point in an electric field. It is denoted by the symbol V and is measured in volts (V).

2. How is electric potential different from electric energy?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a particular point, while electric energy is the total amount of energy that a charge possesses in an electric field. Electric potential is a scalar quantity, while electric energy is a vector quantity.

3. What is the formula for calculating electric potential?

The formula for electric potential is V = kQ/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance between the charge and the point where the electric potential is being measured.

4. How does electric potential vary in an electric field?

Electric potential decreases as the distance from the charge increases in an electric field. It also depends on the amount of charge and the strength of the electric field.

5. What is the relationship between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is directly proportional to electric potential. This means that an increase in electric potential will result in an increase in electric potential energy, and vice versa.