Electric Potential Energy Question With two Similarly charged Objects

In summary: I hope that's clear.You can also do it in the lab frame. Force is the same as in the center of mass frame, it's just that the center of mass is accelerating, and this acceleration shows up as a fictitious force in the lab frame. So the force in the lab frame is 40.5 N as you calculated. Work done in moving from 20 m separation to minimum separation is then (40.5 N)(12.7 m)=516 Joules, and this is the change in P.E. when going from 20 m separation to minimum separation.The K.E. at 20 m separation is the sum of the K.E of the two pucks. The K.E. at minimum separation
HarleyM

Homework Statement

Two frictionless pucks are placed on a level surface as shown, at an initial distance of 20m.

Puck 1 has a mass of 0.8 kg and a charge of + 3x10^-4 while puck 2 has a mass of 0.4 kg and a charge of +3 x10^-4.

The initial velocity of puck 1 is 12 m/s [E] and the initial velocity of puck 2 is 8 m/s [W]. Find the minimum separation of the two pucks; the min distance between the two pucks

Homework Equations

Pt=Pt'
M1V1+M2V2=(M1+M2)V
Ek=1/2mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

Conservation of momentum is used to find the velocity of closest approach, since it must be constant for both.

Pt=Pt'
M1V1+M2V2=(M1+M2)V
(0.8)(12)+(0.4)(8)=(1.2)V (Should I set East or west as +, and therefore should 1 velocity be negative?)

V=10.7 m/s when pucks reach point of closest approach

Ek1+Ek2= Ee +Ek
1/2M1v12 +1/2M2v22=(kq1q2/r) + 1/2(M1+M2)V

1/2(0.8)(12)2+1/2(0.4)(8)2= [(9x10^9)*(3x10-4)2/r] + [1/2(1.2)*(10.7)]

(70.4-6.42)r=(9x109)(3x10-4)2
r= 12.66 m

SO my question is, is 12.7 m the closest they reach or would it be 20-12.7?

I think I put all the variables into the equations correctly and accounted for conservation of energy and momentum, any help would be great. I am quite confused.

Thanks everyone and merry Christmas, happy holidays and a happy winter solstice

Physics news on Phys.org
HarleyM said:

Homework Statement

Two frictionless pucks are placed on a level surface as shown, at an initial distance of 20m.

Puck 1 has a mass of 0.8 kg and a charge of + 3x10^-4 while puck 2 has a mass of 0.4 kg and a charge of +3 x10^-4.

The initial velocity of puck 1 is 12 m/s [E] and the initial velocity of puck 2 is 8 m/s [W]. Find the minimum separation of the two pucks; the min distance between the two pucks

Homework Equations

Pt=Pt'
M1V1+M2V2=(M1+M2)V
Ek=1/2mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

Conservation of momentum is used to find the velocity of closest approach, since it must be constant for both.

Pt=Pt'
M1V1+M2V2=(M1+M2)V
(0.8)(12)+(0.4)(8)=(1.2)V (Should I set East or west as +, and therefore should 1 velocity be negative?)

V=10.7 m/s when pucks reach point of closest approach

Ek1+Ek2= Ee +Ek
1/2M1v12 +1/2M2v22=(kq1q2/r) + 1/2(M1+M2)V2

1/2(0.8)(12)2+1/2(0.4)(8)2= [(9x10^9)*(3x10-4)2/r] + [1/2(1.2)*(10.7)]

(70.4-6.42)r=(9x109)(3x10-4)2
r= 12.66 m

SO my question is, is 12.7 m the closest they reach or would it be 20-12.7?I think I put all the variables into the equations correctly and accounted for conservation of energy and momentum, any help would be great. I am quite confused.

Thanks everyone and merry Christmas, happy holidays and a happy winter solstice
The pucks travel in opposite directions, so, yes, their initial velocities should have opposite sign. You pick what direction is positive. That is often East, but it also makes sense to have the sign of the one with greater speed. In this case, that's also East.

It's also possible to work this out in the center of mass reference frame, but that's not necessary.

Added in Edit:

The initial potential energy is not zero. you need to include it of the left side of your equation:
(1/2)M1v12 +(1/2)M2v22 = (kq1q2/r) + (1/2)(M1+M2)V2

Last edited:
DO you have any insight as to whether I am close with my answer of 12.7 m?

I can't help but wonder if it should be 20-12.7m but I can't really explain why.

I have another thought about the question ...
if we work in the frame of COM of the pucks ... it has no external force acting so it is in inertial frame ...

So simply using energy conservation in that case will give a solution because final velocities will be zero of both pucks ... (i guess :biggrin: correct me if I'm wrong) ...

Im still working at this question, 12.7 M seems like way to big of a distance to be the minmum distance these pucks come between each other. Am I doing something wrong in my calculations/equations?

I am also wondering is there electric potential energy at 20 m away so it should be

EE + EΔK=EE

This gives me an answer of 7.3 m, a little better but that still seems huge.. I also get 11.5 m sometimes as well.

Im really confused here.

HarleyM said:
I am also wondering is there electric potential energy at 20 m away so it should be

EE + EΔK=EE

This gives me an answer of 7.3 m, a little better but that still seems huge.. I also get 11.5 m sometimes as well.

I'm really confused here.

How much force do the pucks exert on each other at those distances ?

Added in Edit:

I get an answer of about 8.6 meters for the minimum distance.

Last edited:
sammys said:
how much force do the pucks exert on each other at those distances ?

40.5 n?

HarleyM said:
40.5 n?
Well 40 Newtons produces a fairly large acceleration on objects with masses of 0.4 kg and 0.8 kg.; 100m/s2 and 50 m/s2 respectively.

However, I get a force of more like 10 Newtons at 8.6 meters separation. Even that gives pretty big accelerations on the pucks.

How did you get to 8.6 m seperation?this equation?

EE+EΔK=EE+EK

Did you also calculate the mass and momentum as one singular object i.e (M1+M2)V2 for the right side of the equation ?I really want to understand this question so I appreciate any help you can offer a lot!

HarleyM said:
How did you get to 8.6 m separation?

this equation?

EE+EΔK=EE+EK

Did you also calculate the mass and momentum as one singular object i.e (M1+M2)V2 for the right side of the equation ?

I really want to understand this question so I appreciate any help you can offer a lot!

Actually, I did it in the center of mass system, but that doesn't change the answer.

(M1+M2)V2 is not momentum. Velocity should not be squared. (M1+M2)V is the momentum of the system when the pucks are at minimum separation. Conservation of momentum gives that V=(20/3) m/s @ min. separation. Remember, v2 is negative, initially.

The Kinetic Energy of the system is (1/2)(M1+M2)V2 at minimum separation.

What is the K.E. at 20 m separation?

What is the Potential Energy at 20 m separation?

Conservation of energy then gives the P.E. at minimum separation. Solve this for r .

Should it look like this?

KE (@20 m) + EE(@ 20 m) = KE(@ distance of closest approach) + EE (solve for r)

and KE= (M1+M2)V2 ( on both sides of the equation)?

so I get 10.67 m/s as velocity at minimum separation M1v1+M2V2=(M1+M2)V

v=10.67 m/s

EK1+EK2+EE=EE+(M1+M2)(10.67)

1/2m1v12+1/2m2v22 + Kq2/20= kq2/r+1/2(M1+M2)V ( I didn't square V here)

R= 7.75 m

What am I doing wrong?

OK I found out how to get 8.6 I was just confusing myself, now how are you getting 10 N?

I used

(9x10^9)(3x10^-4)2/8.6

EE= 94.18 N

Last edited:
HarleyM said:
so I get 10.67 m/s as velocity at minimum separation M1v1+M2V2=(M1+M2)V

v=10.67 m/s

EK1+EK2+EE=EE+(M1+M2)(10.67)

1/2m1v12+1/2m2v22 + Kq2/20= kq2/r+1/2(M1+M2)V ( I didn't square V here)

R= 7.75 m

What am I doing wrong?
The velocity at minimum separation (which is also the velocity of the center of mass) is (16/3) m/s. I had the wrong value in my previous post.
Remember, v1 and v2 have opposite signs.​

What is momentum, (M1+M2)(10.67), doing in the following equation?
EK1+EK2+EE=EE+(M1+M2)(10.67)​
Take that out & you may get the right answer.

HarleyM said:
OK I found out how to get 8.6 I was just confusing myself, now how are you getting 10 N?

I used

(9x10^9)(3x10^-4)2/8.6

EE= 94.18 N

Did you see this?

Harley, the initial (smallest) Force is q kQ/r^2 , with r starting at 20m => 2.025 N.
... IF it would get to 8.6m distance, then (9E9)(3E-4)^2/(8.6)^2 = 10.95 N.

Your post #13 is pretty much right, except that you did not square V(closest)
... which doesn't matter because (using c.o.mass frame) V(closest) is zero.
use velocities relative to c.o.m. and you'll get 19m as closest approach.
(WTF?)
the big mass starts off 1.333 m/s faster than it is at closest approach,
the small mass starts off -2.666 m/s different than it is at closest approach.
2 N causes the big mass to accelerate a=F/m = 2.5 m/s/s ,
so the closest approach occurs in about dv/a=dt= .53 seconds.
the big one's _avg_ speed relative to c.o.m (10.67 m/s) was 0.666 m/s
so it went about 0.333 m relative to the c.o.m. in that time.
small mass moves twice as far (0.666 m) relative to the center-of-mass
before they're both going 10.666 m/s.

the center-of-mass moves 5.6 meters before the closest approach, so a LOT of Energy gets transfered!

HarleyM said:

I used

(9x10^9)(3x10^-4)2/8.6

EE= 94.18 N

You need to square the 8.6 .

That will then give you 10.95 N .

I don't think R is squared in electric potential energy , only in electric force and field?

So are you guys calculating electric force? Its unneeded for the answer ( I just need distance of closest approach) I am just curious

thanks everyone for the help!

1. What is electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position in an electric field. It is a form of potential energy and is measured in joules (J).

2. How is electric potential energy calculated?

The electric potential energy between two similarly charged objects can be calculated using the equation: E = k(q1q2)/r, where E is the electric potential energy, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the objects, and r is the distance between them.

3. What happens to the electric potential energy when the distance between two similarly charged objects changes?

The electric potential energy between two similarly charged objects is inversely proportional to the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the objects increases, the electric potential energy decreases, and vice versa.

4. How does the electric potential energy change when the charges of two similarly charged objects are increased?

If the charges of two similarly charged objects are increased, the electric potential energy between them will also increase. This is because the electric potential energy is directly proportional to the charges of the objects.

5. Can electric potential energy be negative?

Yes, electric potential energy can be negative. This occurs when the two similarly charged objects have opposite signs, resulting in a negative value for the electric potential energy. In this case, the objects would attract each other instead of repelling.