Electric potential for a sphere of charge

In summary, a sphere with a radius of 65 cm and equal charges of 2 µC placed at 72 degree intervals along the equator has an electric potential of 138 kV at the origin. It does not matter where the charges are located on the sphere, as the potential is the same at all points on the surface and inside the sphere. However, for part (b) of the problem, the concept of the "north pole" is irrelevant as the potential is the same everywhere on the sphere. The equation V = (1/4πε0) * Σ(qi/ri) can be used to solve for the electric potential at any point on the sphere.
peaceandlove

Homework Statement

A sphere with radius 65 cm has its center at the origin. Equal charges of 2 µC are placed at 72 degree intervals along the equator of the sphere. The Coulomb constant is 8.99×10 N·m^2 / C^2. (a) What is the electric potential at the origin? Answer in units of kV. (b) What is the electric potential at the north pole? Answer in units of kV.

Homework Equations

---

The Attempt at a Solution

The capacitance of an isolated sphere is C = 4*π*ε0*R = (1/K)*R where K = electric constant = 8.99*10^9 N-m²/C². C = 7.23*10^-11 F. The total charge on the sphere is 2*10^-6*(360/72) = 10*10^-6 C. It doesn't matter where the charges are, the conducting sphere will have the same potential at all points on the surface and inside the sphere. V = Q/C = 10*10^-6 / 7.23*10^-11 = 1.38*10^5 V = 138 kV.

The "north pole" would be at the "top" of the sphere, the equator being defined by the location of the charges. Of course, there is no distinction between "top" and "bottom", but it doesn't matter, since the potential is the same everywhere on the sphere. However, my answer got marked wrong for part (b), and I'm not sure why.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think that the sphere is conducting. In fact, I think that you whould basically ignore the sphere, and simply consider the ring of charges. The problem is worded strangely.

Could you please explain how you would solve for (b)? Since there are 2 µC at 72 degree intervals along the equation, I tried dividing 2 µC by C, but that is wrong as well.

Are you familiar with this equation?
[tex]V = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\sum_i\frac{q_i}{r_i}[/tex]
If not... you have some catching up to do :wink:

Related to Electric potential for a sphere of charge

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a given point in an electric field.

2. How is electric potential calculated for a sphere of charge?

The electric potential for a sphere of charge can be calculated using the equation V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the sphere, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere to the point where the potential is being measured.

3. How does the electric potential vary for a sphere of charge?

The electric potential for a sphere of charge is directly proportional to the charge of the sphere and inversely proportional to the distance from the center of the sphere. As the distance increases, the electric potential decreases.

4. Can the electric potential for a sphere of charge be negative?

Yes, the electric potential for a sphere of charge can be negative. This occurs when the charge of the sphere is negative and the point where the potential is being measured is closer to the center of the sphere.

5. How does the electric potential for a sphere of charge affect the movement of charged particles?

The electric potential for a sphere of charge determines the direction and speed of charged particles in its vicinity. Charged particles will move from high potential areas to low potential areas, and their speed will depend on the difference in potential.