1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Electric Potential

1. Feb 7, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What is the electric potential at the center of a uniformly charged sphere?

2. Relevant equations

Ed=-V

3. The attempt at a solution

Integrate from infinity to the center of the sphere and be sure to account for the changing electric potential. I was told that the answer might be zero, but I believe that that is not right. So, am I right?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2010 #2
    The answer is not zero, so you're right about that. Think about it this way: what if instead of a sphere of continual charge, you had billions of little, positive point charges in the shape of a sphere. You could calculate the voltage of each one and sum them together to get the total voltage at that point. Well, voltage for a positive charge is always positive and never zero. Therefore, all the point charges would always add and never subtract from the voltage at some point p inside the sphere.

By the way, you know that voltage is the -integral of electric field dx. You also know form Gauss that that sphere of charge up until the surface behaves like a point charge. You also know that the electric field within a conducting sphere is zero. So your voltage calculation is the same as that of a point charge up until r = R (where R is the radius of the sphere) and then the voltage stops becoming bigger - it remains constant throughout the inside of the conductor. This makes sense since the E field is zero in there - it takes no work (no force) to move the charge around at a constant velocity(you needn't push or pull to prevent the electrical force from accelerating it)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook