Electric Force Calc: 4µC, -3µC, 4µC at 10cm, 4cm,-2cm

• Thread starter redhot209
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electric
In summary, the question asks for the magnitude of the total electrostatic force on a third particle with a charge of 4 µC placed on the x-axis at -2 cm. By using Coulomb's law, the force between the third particle and the first particle is repulsive, while the force between the third particle and the second particle is attractive. The net electrostatic force on the third particle can be found by taking the algebraic sum of these two forces.
redhot209
Note: ^i means carrot on top of variable

Homework Statement

A particle with charge 4 µC is located on the x-axis at the point 10 cm, and a second particle with charge -3 µC is placed on the x-axis at 4 cm. What is the magnitude of the total electrostatic force on a third particle with a charge 4 µC placed on the x-axis at -2 cm? Answer in units of N.

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I converted all my variables to µC = C , and cm = m
q1 = 4 µC = 4e-6
q2 = -3 µC = -3e-6
q3 = 4 µC = 4e-6
x1 = 10 cm = 0.1 m
x2 = 4 cm = 0.04 m
x3 = -2 cm = -0.02 m

2 By using Coulom's law in vector form:
F13= ke(q1q3/r2)^r13
where ^r13 is a unit vector directed from q1 to q3; i.e., ->r13 = ->r3 - ->r1

x13 = x3 - x1
(-0.02m)-(0.1m) = -0.12m
x23 = x3 - x2
(-0.02m)-(0.04) = -0.06 m

^x13 = x3-x1/ √(x3-x1)^2 = -1 or -^i
^x23 = x3-x2/ √(x3-x2)^2 = 1 or +^i

Since the forces are collinear, the force on the third particle is the algrebracis sum of the forces between the first and third and the second and third particles.

->F = ->F13 + ->F23
= ke [q1/ r213 X ^r13 + q2 / r223 x^r13 ] q3

After putting in the variables, I got 33.9444444445 N as my answer, but was wrong. What did i do wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First of all find the force between 4micro C at -2 cm and 4 micro C at 10 cm. It is repulsive force. Next find the force between 4micro C at -2 cm and -3 micro C at 4 cm. It is attractive force. Now find the net electrostatic force on the third charge.

It seems like you have correctly applied Coulomb's law and calculated the forces between each pair of particles. However, when adding the forces together, you need to consider the direction of each force. The force between q1 and q3 is directed towards the left, while the force between q2 and q3 is directed towards the right. Therefore, when adding these two forces, they should be subtracted instead of added. This will give you a negative value for the total force, indicating that it is directed towards the left. Also, make sure to use the correct value for the Coulomb constant, which is 8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2. After making these corrections, you should get a magnitude of 27.83333333 N for the total electrostatic force on the third particle.

1. What is the formula for calculating electric force?

The formula for calculating electric force is F = k(q1*q2)/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant (9x10^9 Nm^2/C^2), q1 and q2 are the magnitudes of the charges in Coulombs, and r is the distance between the charges in meters.

2. How do you determine the direction of the electric force?

The direction of the electric force is determined by the direction of the electric field lines. The force acts along the direction of the field lines, away from positive charges and towards negative charges.

3. What is the net electric force of the three given charges?

To determine the net electric force, we need to calculate the individual forces between each pair of charges and then add them vectorially. So in this case, we would calculate the force between the first and second charge, the second and third charge, and the first and third charge, and then add them together to get the net force.

4. How does the distance between charges affect the electric force?

The electric force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charges. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases, and as the distance decreases, the force increases.

5. What is the unit of measurement for electric force?

The unit of measurement for electric force is Newtons (N), which is the same as the unit for force in general. It is named after Sir Isaac Newton, who first described the laws of motion that govern forces.